Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

Jeff,

First, your model number is 101.07403, not 0704. Thanks for the serial number and dates. Where did you find the third date? They don't usually have but two.

The allowable runout of a Class 2 bearing cup and bearing cone is .0015", which is additive so the total allowable runout of the two together is .0030". That being said, it doesn't have to be that bad. It just depends upon whether Timken had already met their daily quota for Class 3 that day or not. But you can't count on it. And buying two sets of Class 2 intending to use the best combination doesn't guarantee you will be any better off. However, I would guess that most of the people who have put new bearings into their Atlas lathes have bought the cheapest thing that they could find. But I never heard anyone report their actual results. So ye pays yer money an ye takes yer chances. The original bearings usually last a long time. Unless there is something that you know is wrong with them, I would put the originals back in, set them up properly per the TB, and see what you get. If the runout is excessive, I would bite the bullet and buy Class 3 and be done with it for my lifetime.

And don't forget that you need to rotate the spindle several times in the same direction. Put the lathe in back gear and on the slowest belt positions and run it for a while with the indicator on the register.

That all being said, I bought a set of what I am sure now are Class 2 or even 4 several years ago before I knew that there was a difference. When I pull my spindle later this year to replace the spindle belts, I am going to install the new bearings and see what I get. I'll report here when I do. But it is going to be several more months at least.

Robert D, 14276B and 14125A were 7-30-45, 16284b was 7-25-45, and 16550 was 7-20-45. The
small cone and race look ok. but the
big race is not smooth[ shiney] and the bearing has some lines on the rollers. The right was filthy. I was getting .007 pushing hard on a test bar but was getting good light cuts. there was a clicking noise on the right bearing and then when flooded with oil it went away. Maybe I will just buy Class 2 for the right side . Thanks Jeff​

OK. Thanks for the explanation of the dates.

Do you still have the clicking noise after you removed the spindle and thoroughly cleaned the various parts.

Its still apart.Ive been looking for hours for a 16284b#3 on line. Nobody has one, minimum time to order is 30 to 40 days. Amazon has a 16150#3 for $281. Maybe I will try your idea an clean and put back together and play around with bearing load before ordering standard bearings.

Well, that is pretty steep for half of a bearing. If it was only a matter of 30 to 50% differential, that would be one thing. But the one that you have a price on is about double a good price for a full set of Class 2. It will only take a little time to reinstall the spindle and see whether or not the noise goes away, and if it does what the runout is. As I said before before without knowing what a set of Class 3's might cost, I think it's worth spending the time.Just remember that with proper bearing preload, there should be no radial movement with moderate side load. And no end float.

Hello there;
I own an Atlas 10" swing Model: QC42 Serial N: 1007 Bought it in Laredo TX. about 20 years ago from the son of original ownwer, but he only gave me the
Lathe owner's manual, no other papers.
Would like to know the aprox manufacture date. (have not taken out the spindle so I don't know the dates on bearings).
Just so you can anotate on your records on the where abouts of the machines, the lathe now "lives" in Mexico.

George,

We have about a dozen QC42 or QC54 in the database. And not a single one with a bearing date. We do have one report of a QC model found with its original shipping Document dated January 1948. We can conclude from the year on the first Atlas catalog to show the Quick Change models that the first ones were made in 1947. And we can conclude from the numbers in the small pool compared to the numbers on THnn models made around the same time that unlike with all of the preceding 10" model changes, Atlas started over at 000001 with the serial numbers on the QC. What we don't have is enough information to really guess at production rate or total production.

However, with what little we do know, I would guess at some time in 1948 for the birthday of your machine.

George,

We have about a dozen QC42 or QC54 in the database. And not a single one with a bearing date. We do have one report of a QC model found with its original shipping Document dated January 1948. We can conclude from the year on the first Atlas catalog to show the Quick Change models that the first ones were made in 1947. And we can conclude from the numbers in the small pool compared to the numbers on THnn models made around the same time that unlike with all of the preceding 10" model changes, Atlas started over at 000001 with the serial numbers on the QC. What we don't have is enough information to really guess at production rate or total production.

However, with what little we do know, I would guess at some time in 1948 for the birthday of your machine.

Thank's a lot for the info. If I ever get to remove the spindle I´ll send you the dates on the bearings.

Gracias, saludos desde Mexico.
George.

You're welcome.

10F V42, ser# V196668. Only other identification is a brass plaque on the change gear cover with the following,

AGI 1946

All painted components appear to be original, nothing that was broken was replaced.
Being about as far from home as the little beasty can get, thats not surprising.
So on that basis i'm assuming that aside from normal wear and tear, that is how it left
the factory.

Image0236.jpg Image0232.jpg

Last edited:
Back