Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

Tim,

The brass plate on the change gear cover is most likely something added by the local owner. Certainly not something that Atlas put on it.
On the serial number, the "V" is OK. We've had reported a few with either "V" or "H" in that position. They apparently stand for either Vertical or Horizontal, and refer to the countershaft assembly type. One of your photos shows a vertical countershaft, so that is all right. But the serial number has too many digits. The highest known 10" serial number is under 90000. The year that the 10" production ceased, the 12" Commercial begain production at Serial Number 100000. Most likely, the final character, which you show as the numeral "8" is actually the letter "S". There are many reported examples of this up to serial # 20318. All such are babbit bearing models, so one theory is that it stood for "Standard". The only Timken model that we have in that range does not have the "S".

So please recheck the serial number.

Will do, had thought it was an "S" originally, closer inspection seemed to indicate "8".
Hard to see the serial#, very light stamping and discolouration. Tried blocking with fine
wet/dry emery and oil, didn't go too far for fear of losing it alltogether. Time to have
another look.

10F V42, ser# V196668. Only other identification is a brass plaque on the change gear cover with the following,

AGI 1946

All painted components appear to be original, nothing that was broken was replaced.
Being about as far from home as the little beasty can get, thats not surprising.
So on that basis i'm assuming that aside from normal wear and tear, that is how it left
the factory.
Confirmed, Ser# is V19666S. Just needed correct lighting angle, suitable amount of squint through sufficient magnification and tongue clamped firmly in the right position!

OK. Thanks. Rough estimate is that it was made early 1940. If you want to add any more to the record (acquisition cost, where/when/how acquired, accessories, condition, etc.) let me know.

My MFC Mill has a serial number 011604 I don't know much about it. It did come with a letter from a previous owner requesting a manual from Atlas dated 12/28/1962 and the Atlas reply with letter stating that manufacture of that machine was discontinued "several years ago" and a list of parts still available dated 11/1/1962.

I assume that you meant that the letter was dated 12/28/62, not the manual that he was looking for. The mills were discontinued around late 1959. The last Sears catalog that the mill and shaper appeared in was 1959.

Yes, the letter from a previous owner was dated 12/28/62.

Re: Atlas 10" Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates

I have a range of catalogs with my lathe but the oldest is 1941 so I've concluded it's age is thereabout. No idea on bearing date, no call to disassemble the headstock to date (thankfully!). Roller bearings, 10F w/horizontal countershaft.

QC-54

Final vote:

Assembled in 1948.

20150602_221724_zpsrsovfwrd.jpg

Hey Robert, I decided to bring our conversation over here. The serial number on my lathe is - D2373s - . It is a 10x36, babbit bearing headstock, old style tool post slide, (not the type with the dovetail post). Someone in the past painted the inside of the bed "machine red" and he rubbed it into the serial#, I don't know if it came from the factory like that but I think it looks pretty cool. It has the normal benchtop style legs, I believe it's vertical shaft, and it is a change gear. It was love at first sight (sigh). Bringing it home made me feel like I was cheating on my wife (LOL). Whoever had this lathe before me had respect for machines. Now it's my turn. Any info I can get on it, I would be grateful. At this point I only assume it's a 1936 10D. there is a plate on the feed direction housing that I believe reads atlas press co, but I would have to double check that. I will try to take some pics in the afternoon tomorrow.

Back