Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

Atlas 918 Utility lathe with Babbitt bearings -- serial number X453S

Chuck,

OK. That is the earliest 10" serial number in the database. In fact, it is ~2500 lower than the only 10A serial number. But as it has a "D" prefix to the serial number, it must be a 10D.

Last edited:
Vince,

Thanks. That's the first identified Utility and serial number reported. It isn't known whether or not the 9" and 10" shared serial numbers or not. From the few examples reported, it could be either way.

Last edited:
Balance of thread on Topcraft's 10D moved to a new non-sticky thread named "Topcraft's New 10D"

Chuck,

OK. That is the earliest 10" serial number in the database. In fact, it is ~2500 lower than the only 10A serial number. But as it has a "D" prefix to the serial number, it must be a 10D.

Really? My Dad's Babbit bearing, vertical countershaft, 10" has an H prefix. I didn't think the prefix defined the lathe series...???

I assume your Dad's machine must be a 10F. When Atlas came out with the 10F, they changed the Model Number format from four digits and a letter (except on the back geared ones) to one or two letters and two digits. So 1036 for original early back geared 10x18, 1054 for the original early back geared 10x36, etc., and according to the catalogs, also 1036...1054 for the 10D, 1054A, 1054B, 1054C and 1054E for those stripped-down models. The serial numbers of 40% of the ten known 10D's in the database have a "D" prefix and about two spaces between it and the numbers. We have one known to me machine (without back gears or carriage or countershaft) with an "A" prefix which must be a 1048A. Of the reported 10D's that have a "D" prefix, all are also reported to have an "S" suffix, which we have never figured out.

The model number syntax for the 10F's was changed to (d)dnn as in V36 (babbit bearings, vertical countershaft, 36" bed), TH54 (Timken bearings, horizontal countershaft, 54" bed), etc. The syntax for the serial numbers also apparently changed, with the prefix (where reported) being either "V" or "H". And again, those 10F's with a reported prefix also have a reported "S" suffix (still unknown).

My current assumption is that some10" machines with no reported prefix or suffix probably have them but the owner didn't key them in for whatever reason. I also think that around 1940 or 41, the prefixes and suffixes for the serial numbers were discontinued.

Stan,

Unfortunately, Atlas did not engrave a date on the spindle bearings used in the 618's. And unlike the 6" MK2, no one has ever reported finding a casting date cast into any of the 6" cast parts. So the only way to date one would be to find one with the original invoice (none have been reported) or be or know the original owner and know when the thing was bought that way (one known example from 1941). We have two or three examples where the current owner has reported or recorded the dates on manuals found with the lathe. But with no proof as to whether the manuals were original to the lathe.

Clausing has no production records for the Atlas lathes (nor the Clausing ones, for that matter). They were either lost or destroyed during one of Clausing's many moves.

The best estimate from almost no data is late 1948. That assumes constant production rates which is unlikely, especially during WW-II. So say 1945 to 1948.

thanks I guess I should put it together then lol.so I guess that would be at least 1yr older than me.

I have a Craftsman 12" x 36" lathe, the model number is 101.28990 and the serial number is 102963. My question is, does anyone have any idea the year this was manufactured? A call to Clausing was of minimal help, they suggested it was 1971-1972. I am restoring it and after degreasing it, when I looked inside the bed, cast into the back side is "03-22-1966". Logic tells me that would be when it was made, however, many 1966 version Atlas/Craftsman lathes look much older than mine (with regard to the gear cover, on/off switch, etc). I was just curious if anyone had a clue of it's age. Thanks in advance!!

Back