Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

Hi Robert,
New member here. I inherited my Father's Atlas Lathe a while back and am in the process of setting it up for use on small jobs here at the house. It is Model - TH 48 Serial # 059780. So it would be a Timken and horizontal. Would you know what year it was made? It has a quick change gear box. I believe my father installed it shortly after he bought it. I believe he bought it used in 1953. It has the three jaw, four jaw, face plate and dog plate. It also had the milling attachment for the cross feed but I gave that to an old and dear friend 15 years ago. It has some wear on the ways on the operator side near the head stock. I don't plan to machine shafts anyway. I am leaving the original paint and just cleaning it. The cross nut had to be replaced and the 5 inch three jaw chuck was replaced with a 6". I now have a 4" Buck chuck I plan to mount on it. I will either make or buy a carriage stop and set it up for collet use.

Thank you,

Bill Maguire

Bill,

I have a nicely done shop built 3-position carriage stop that I originally bought to use with my turret tail stock. Turned out that it fits a 3/8" way (I have a 3996, which has 1/2" ways) plus only two of the three positions were usable because only one of the three stop screws was above the top of the carriage when nominally deselected. I don't know what lathe it was actually made to work on. Would work fine as a single position stop on a 3/8" bed Atlas. $15 plus postage.

Back to your machine and date of manufacture, if you ever have another reason to pull the spindle, both spindle bearings should have dates hand engraved on them. If you ever do pull them, please report the model number, serial number and both dates here. The two dates usually do not match. The current widest spread between the two dates is about 11 months (which could probably taken as proof that Atlas did not practice a strict First In - First Out on their inventory. The typical spread is about two to four months.

Calculating between the nearest two bearing dates on machines with serial numbers bracketing yours, your machine would theoretically date to 1945/06/04 (YYYY/MM/DD). The base assumptions here are two-fold - first that the bearing dates are the manufacturing dates (they obviously aren't as they must be earlier) and a constant production rate (which may not be too far off given that the two bearing dates used are in 1942 and 1946, most of which was during WW-II). Anyway, taking all of the variables into account, it would probably be safe to say that your machine was made in 1945.

The QCGB didn't come out until the last half of 1947 so your father adding it later agrees with known facts.

Robert,

Wow, that was quick. Thank you. I was wondering would I be able to see the dates by taking off the bearing shields? Wait no they would be facing the center, never mind.
As for the QC he could have bought it with it on it in 1953. I'll ask my oldest brother, he may know.
I had no idea this site had so many topics to look into!
The carriage stop sounds like it would fit in with my plans just right. I made a dial indicator mount for it long ago but a positive stop would be great.

Have fun,

Bill

Last edited:
Bill. You're welcome. And besides the fact that the dates are usually on the large side of the cones, you cannot pull the front shield or the next two without pulling the spindle. And I doubt that you could pull the rear one without destroying it.

On the carriage stop, let me make sure that I can still find it first. And then if you do want it, I'll send you payment options.

Robert,
I'll take the carriage stop. You say it will work on a 3/8" rail, I can make it work.
Thanks again,

Bill

On bearing dates, it appears that either Atlas or Timken (whomever actually put them on the bearings) stopped doing that after the mid 50's. Everyone with a Commercial (either Atlas or Craftsman) who has needed to pull their spindle has reported no dates on the bearings. The latest reported bearing date is 1951/08/14. If you find a date, report it of course. But don't expect any.

Robert,
I sent you payment on my wife's Paypal account. The picture shows a nicer stop than what I had in my mind's eye.
Thank you,
Bill

Robert,

I would be interest in the collet attachment. I believe I could make the needed link for it to work.
What's the price?
I don't seem to be able to answer your "Conversation" you send, is that that because I am a new member?

Thank you,

Bill

Robert,

I just got confirmation from my oldest brother that Dad did by the lathe with the QC already on it and it was probably 1953.

Bill

Back