Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

I don't think so more like Rabid Hunting Dog, when i saved them to my drive from my iphone, they are oriented correctly, so who knows. Anyway she is back together and quiet as a mouse.

I don't know the details and I forgot to ever call Nikon and talk to them about it. But I discovered some incompatibility between a later piece of Nikon photo editing software and both Irfanview and most browsers at the time. A photo rotated by the newer Nikon software was still displayed unrotated by the other viewers. I solved the immediate problem by not using the newer software. Then my wife "retired" from eBay and our every Sunday afternoon photo-shoot sessions ceased and I never pursued the question. I did look into some online comparisons between JPEG and JPEG2000 but there was never any mention of a rotation problem. So I don't know what's causing it. All I can say is that if the JPG was created by a real camera, the problem doesn't seem to occur on this site. And that it doesn't always occur if the JPG was created by a not-so-smart-phone.

Hi Robert, I am John and I am a Toolaholic!
I am new to H-M and just bought an Atlas lathe.
I believe it's 10F H36 serial number 13211S babbitt bearings (took bright lights, loupe, magnifying glass, chalk and steel wool to Finally give you the proper serial number).
Please let me know if there is any additional info you would like. I like many am in the midst of cleanup/ overhauling my lathe.

John

John,

Thanks. That is all of the information required for the record to be potentially useful. If you wish, you could add acquisition cost, what else you got with it for that money, and when, where and how you acquired it. Plus any other comments you care to make up to about 700 characters.

Actually, there are two other bits of information that I'm starting to add to the database for Atlas 10" only. And these are if you remove the headstock from the bed, the part number cast into the bottom of the headstock. And whether the headstock is removed or not, information on how the motor switch is mounted and what the front of the headstock looks like. I just moved my recent post on that subject up into the Sticky area so I won't repeat it here.

I hadn't previously noticed it probably because looking back I see that almost all age related questions the past year have been for 12". In the combined machine database (408 entries to date) there are only 74 10" entries, a third of which show no serial numbers. And there is a large jump or blank range in the 10" serial numbers. They meander up to a little over 8000 and then skip to over 17000. Plus we only have three supposed bearing dates, one of which does not track with the other two. Meaning that it is about 13000 smaller than one with almost the same date.

Anyway, anyone with a 10" who doesn't remember for sure entering your machine into the old Yahoo database or giving it to me recently, please send me the model number (which includes bed length), serial number (including any prefix or suffix letters), type (10F, 10D, etc.), and if it has Timken bearings, the bearing dates if you know them. If no bearing dates, then anything that would give the original purchase date (no guesses, please).

Thanks, Robert D.

Thanks. Probably made in late 1942.

Thanks. Probably made in late 1942.
Thanks Robert, I paid $500 (Craigslist) drove about 80 miles each way for it. Came with some indexable tooling, knurling tools, a nice live center, a good chuck, a couple of lathe dogs and some braze tips. The previous owner kept the gears well greased but the rest not much lubing. On the trip home, the lathe tipped over in the truck shattering gears. So, I'm slowly repairing it. I gotten a manual now just need to go to work on it.
Aside - I grew up in Spring Branch near Long Point and Wirt Rd.
Thanks
John

John,

Sorry to hear about the accident on the way home.

Your old house is probably about 4 miles ESE of mine. I'm about 300 yards SE of the intersection of Hammerly and BW8. When you were here, that was where West Belt dead-ended into Hammerly.

Last edited:
Back