Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

Thanks. Yours was probably made in 1946. S/N 018810 has the right spindle bearing dated 06/20/1946.

Thank you, that's great to know. Are there any other details you'd like for the database?

Well, for generic use, I think you've covered almost all of the bases. One question that does come up on the Craftsman models is original paint color, if the machine didn't appear to have been repainted before you acquired it. The only other thing that might be of any interest would have been the purchase price, and a list of significant accessories that came for that price (chucks, milling attachment, steady rest, etc.). But from 30 odd years ago, probably only of academic interest. You are free to add any other details that you wish. But the main use that the database serves is answering the perennial question of "when was my machine made?".

Mine still has the original gray paint, although a bit grubby and probably darkened a bit over the years. It came with a r and 4 jaw chuck, milling attachment and a few dogs. Not much else. But I've acquired quite a few accessories over the years. Thanks.

OK. That could be useful information. We knew that Craftsman lathes in the 1930's and maybe early 40's came in various shades of green and blue. And that in the 1950's, they were the same shade of gray as the Atlas 10" machines. Which except for the MK2 6" continued through end of production in 1981. But there was no real info as to when the color change occurred. So this pushes the date back to 1946 or earlier.

Glad I could help in some small way. Here is it. a photo of it.

Steve%20Atlas_zps9p21pgtw.jpg

OK. You were lucky to find one with all of the belt covers. More often than not, those along with the nameplates are missing.

I'd be happy to add my late-model Craftsman 12" lathe, model # 101.28940 (Atlas 3981), sometimes called the "Commercial" line. Serial # is 008046. The code cast into the inner face of the bed is 058-016. I've got no reason to take the spindle out, so I don't know if it has any bearing codes. Unfortunately, I know very little of it's history. I bought it off Craigslist about a month ago. The previous owner bought it a couple of years ago at an estate auction intending to use it in automotive resoration, but never got around to it. It sat in his garage the whole time, gaining a light coating of rust and a rather odd rattle-can paint job. Beyond that, I know nothing else. I'm tearing it down a bit and making sure everything looks good right now, and intend to get it to it's final location and into use in the new year.

Oh, and it has all the belt covers, the horizontal shaft and everything else, I just have all that stripped off at the moment.

Lathe.jpg

ID Plate.jpg

Bed Casting.jpg

Thanks. Don't make any special effort on the bearings as current evidence indicates that the practice of engraving an inspection date on the spindle bearings ceased around 1957. No one has ever reported there being any dates on any of the 1/2" bed machines. Specifically, 101.28940 S/N 8012 does not have any.

058-016 is both the casting number and the finished part number of the late 12x36's 54" bed.

Your serial number is the highest yet reported of the first version of the 1/2" bed version. If I had to guess at the date made, I would guess 1966 or 1967 as we don't know exactly how many were made. However, we have 22 reported examples of the final version (with slip clutch and lever operator for the power cross feed) versus only seven of the first version like yours.

Thanks. Don't make any special effort on the bearings as current evidence indicates that the practice of engraving an inspection date on the spindle bearings ceased around 1957. No one has ever reported there being any dates on any of the 1/2" bed machines. Specifically, 101.28940 S/N 8012 does not have any.

058-016 is both the casting number and the finished part number of the late 12x36's 54" bed.

Your serial number is the highest yet reported of the first version of the 1/2" bed version. If I had to guess at the date made, I would guess 1966 or 1967 as we don't know exactly how many were made. However, we have 22 reported examples of the final version (with slip clutch and lever operator for the power cross feed) versus only seven of the first version like yours.

Thanks for the info! Please let me know if there's anything else I can tell you about my lathe.

Back