Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

Hi Robert,

My friend is getting a Sears Roebuck 12" lathe with a 36" bed. The plate on the back side of the bed has model number 101 . 07401.
Any idea as to what year it might be or closed to?
I sent you a conversation also.

Thank you,

Bill Maguire

The 101.07401 was made for about one year from late 1937 through most of 1938. After which it was replaced by the 101.07402 which was also made for about one year. The main difference between the 07401 and 07402 was the change in Change Gear hub length from 3/8" to 1/2". For rough dating, call it 1938.

I looks younger than my 1945. I thought maybe from the fifties.

Thank you,

Bill Maguire

Robert,

I checked with a mirror and light and removed front clamp. No casting number found but nice virgin gray paint. The on/off switch is a rectangular hole in the casting with 2 - 3/16" holes 1/4" down from the top lip at each boss. Below in the center is a recessed "B" cast in. The end of the back way has an "S" on its side stamped in. The bed casting has "948" behind the front way about in the middle of the bed.

I hope some of this is helpful for your data base.

Bill

OK. Thanks. The "948" is the casting number and part of the part number, depending upon what lathe model it was to be used on. But it means that the overall length of the ways is 48". So the 101.07401 built with it would be a 12x30 and the finished bed part number would be 948C. If you find the serial number on top of the front way near the tailstock end, let me know what it is. I'm still trying to figure out whether each model's S/N started at 0001 or the numbers were cumulative over all four models.

Robert,

I'm sorry. The info I sent you belongs to my 10" TH48 lathe not the 12" 101 . 07401. The 12" has a 36" bed.
I got the PDF. Thank you. Wow, if you could get the drawings for the needed parts that would be a great help. If not I could improvise to get the same needed action. As for the spindle gear, I swung the gear guard out of the way to get a look. I had a set screwed collar threaded against it. Does part of the attachment thread to the spindle? I believe it would have to thus the counter bore into the back side of the gear. No big deal, once I see how it goes together.

Bill

Bill,

OK. 10" and not 12".

Yes. You loosen the set screws. remove the threaded collar, and screw the 900B onto the spindle in its place. Instructions are in the PDF.

Howdy Y'all. I recently just acquired a Craftsman 101.07403 lathe and in the process of tearing it down for cleaning, repair and restoration (who knows how long it has sat unused). The bed is stamped "12702 S" on the far right side, front way. On the bearing housing nearest the chuck, the date "9-20-43" is stamped.

I haven't progressed far enough to see if the rear bearing is stamped. I received this lathe for free as a neighbor was closing his business (a family business that had been run since the 1910's) and this lathe had clearly been neglected and was destined for a landfill. It's not 100% complete and came with a small box of "parts" and "accessories." I've been able to research most of it and have a good idea of what I'm missing and what most of the pieces are . I'm sure I'll be posting a few topics asking for help with identification of a few things.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

Welcome aboard. I entered it into the equipment database. What is the bed length (choices are 36, 42, 48 or 54 inches). From the serial number, I would have estimated it as dating to mid 1945. If you get a date off of the left bearing, please post it here.

What part of Houston are you in? I'm on the west side of Spring Branch, near BW8 and Hammerly Blvd.

Matt,

Welcome aboard. I entered it into the equipment database. What is the bed length (choices are 36, 42, 48 or 54 inches). From the serial number, I would have estimated it as dating to mid 1945. If you get a date off of the left bearing, please post it here.

What part of Houston are you in? I'm on the west side of Spring Branch, near BW8 and Hammerly Blvd.

Robert D (wa5cab),

The bed measures at 42". I should be able to get the other bearing date within a few days. The whole machine is being completely torn down to clean, then it'll get media blasted before getting powder coated. I'm doing it in stages (legs and chip pan, then bed, then headstock, etc.) so the process is a little time consuming.

And I live a few blocks from Minutemaid Stadium on the east end of downtown.

Once I decide upon an image hosting site, I'll probably start a "build thread." This is my first lathe and first venture into machining (though I've been around them a little here and there) and I got a box of "parts" along with the machine. There's a few things that I've yet to identify and a few things that need replaced (such as a missing headstock cover and a missing bull gear pin). I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way and I look forward to contributing to this forum in any way I can.

Last edited:
Back