Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

Here's some shots of the guards and mount for your viewing pleasure....

2017-12-20 13.34.51.jpg

2017-12-20 13.35.15.jpg

I was going to say that the motor mount is probably repairable. Although paying commercial rates to get it done would probably cost more than a replacement. As you have a replacement on the way, it's a moot point.

The belt and gear cover probably isn't repairable. But in any case, it looks like before it was broken, it had been modified . Atlas never made anything that hinged right to left like that.

KD,

The Atlas Quick Change Gear Box first appeared in late 1947, at about the same time that Atlas discontinued the 36" and 48" beds (so there are no QC36 or QC48's). Initially, Atlas started the serial numbers on the QC's at 1 or maybe 100 or 200. At some later point, they were merged into the S/N block being used by the change gear 10F's. Best current guess is that this happened around 1951 and may have coincided with the QCGB change from No. 1500 (which yours is) to No. 6800. This happened sometime before S/N 082925. So far, yours is the highest 4-digit serial number reported. And the only one with an "L" suffix. So for at least the time being, we'll say that your machine was made in 1950.

Although they are not real common, you should be able to eventually find a replacement belt cover and motor mount on eBay. All parts on your machine except for the QCGB and bandjo (change gear bracket) are the same as on the change gear 10F. Of which at least 80.000 were built.

Your machine has the not real common but not rare either factory floor stand. And it has the uncommon factory drip pan.

There is an Atlas machine database in Downloads. As soon as you can see the Downloads tab on the upper tool bar, go to Downloads, click where it says to click here 1st, and 2nd. Click on Atlas/Craftsman/AA, and scroll down and click on A/C Database. I didn't realize that they had gotten that far behind (I'll update them shortly) but there are three files with .TXT extensions. They are actually .MDX, .DBF and .CSV files. Adding the .TXT on the end was a trick to allow them to be uploaded. After downloading, change the file name by deleting the .TXT from the end of the file name. The database includes all types of Atlas machines, including those sold by Sears. Plus the 6" lathes sold by Sears but made by AA.

Also in Downloads you will find a lot of manuals and Atlas Technical Bulletins and etc.

Just looking through the photos I have again and I think that "L" on the end of the serial number is actually a "1" (088491). I took a couple of photos when I first looked and neither is all that clear. Once I get it moved, I will be able to get a better look. Right now the end of it is pushed into a corner. Sorry for the confusion.

OK. When you are able to confirm that, please do so here. I took another look at the photo and it does appear that the horizontal part that makes it an "L" instead of a "1" could be damage instead. Plus none of the other machines in the database have an "L" suffix. And it just registered that if the numeric part of the serial number really is "8849". then if should have been entered as "008849", not "08849". Also, the progression of serial numbers is more or less uniform from "000423" to "004882" so having the next one show up as "08849" is unusual. In any case, I have edited the database, because I'm pretty sure for all of those other reasonns that you are going to find upon examination of the actual plate that the last character was originally "1".

What that says about the QCGB appearing to be a 1500 instead of a 6800, I don't know. But it would be far from the only example of finding either an older or a newer part on one of the machines. You should be able to access the tumbler lever without moving the lathe. Does the handle of the tumbler have a spring-loaded outer sleeve similar to the ones on the other two levers or is it solid and you have to open the change gear cover and loosen a nut in order to select FWD, OFF or REV?

Last edited:
Mine is a 12x36, model # 101 28910 serial# 102005. Let me know if you want to know anything about it

Common info that's in many of the records is where, when, how, how much ($) you got it. Condition at acquisition, what you did to it, current condition. Accessories and tooling you got with it. Accessories and tooling you've acquired since. Etc.

Common info that's in many of the records is where, when, how, how much ($) you got it. Condition at acquisition, what you did to it, current condition. Accessories and tooling you got with it. Accessories and tooling you've acquired since. Etc.

I got it in wheeling, west Virginia in 2014 I think. Was in ok shape, but in a barn so very rusted up, gunked up and full of chips. I completely disassembled it, cleaned all the old grease out, painted it, and got it running and tight again. I paid 250 dollars for it, and when I got it, it came with a QC gear box, and a four jaw 8"Chuck. I have since added tooling and a quick change tool post, and a variety of Morse taper 2 Chuck's and centers for the tail stock. It's in great shape, but there is a small amount of wear on the ways, evident when the carriage gets a little snug towards the tail stock, but cuts pretty decent and gives a nice finish on light cuts with a shear HSS tool. I'm very happy with it. I've probably invested around 700 total in tooling, and I would like to find a milling attachment to hold me over until I can find a mill.

Back