Atlas Headstock Bearings Questions And Concerns

Strtspdlx

Active User
Registered
I'm having chatter issues with my lathe. It's an atlas th54. First and foremost I do not have the wrong supported and its roughly 7" long of different sizes ranging from 3/4" to 1-1/2". I know I need support but I looked elsewhere. Check my bearings and had about .006 play using my 7" work to flex up and down. Tightened up the bearings and couldn't get better then .005 and now had a very notchy grainy feel which I was not satisfied with so I tore the spindle apart and found this but about 6 times more. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427212465.936990.jpg
So at this point it threw everything in the parts washer and had to pick a ton of this stuff out of the bearings. Which by the way are dated 12-10-46. And they seem fun by hand now. I posted on another forum and everyone says its felt. I don't believe it as this is a soft plastic stretchy substance and there's about 3 varying materials I found in the front bearing. Do I need felt in these bearings? Or is it not something atlas had engineered into the headstock. Now onto problem two. Carriage play. Unscrewed apron and had a lot of movement. I didn't set up and read how much but I'd say by feel it was well over .010. So I tore that apart and found this ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427212305.971638.jpg
So at this point I'm well into the machine. I'm not doing a full restore just yet but if anyone has any insight as to what I should look into to better this machine is appreciate it. Right now my machine looks like this and is awaiting the weekend to get a much needed meet with some degreaser and the hose. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427212387.728625.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427212098.442342.jpg

Strtspdlx,

It doesn't look like felt to me, either. Certainly nothing that Atlas put in there. Possibly some PO's misguided effort to convert it to sealed bearings??? AFAIK, the only non-metallic components associated with any bearings that Atlas ever installed was a felt plug in each of the spindle bearing oil cups (which I think didn't happen until the early 60's) and on some machines a pipe cleaner in the apron.

I would clean everything up, put it back together, and start over from scratch with a clean and properly oiled machine. Put a new spindle belt on it as there is a possibility you won't need to pull the spindle again unless you later decide to strip and paint.

Also, how about posting the serial number? We have very few serial numbers with matching bearing dates.

Strtspdlx,

It doesn't look like felt to me, either. Certainly nothing that Atlas put in there. Possibly some PO's misguided effort to convert it to sealed bearings??? AFAIK, the only non-metallic components associated with any bearings that Atlas ever installed was a felt plug in each of the spindle bearing oil cups (which I think didn't happen until the early 60's) and on some machines a pipe cleaner in the apron.

I would clean everything up, put it back together, and start over from scratch with a clean and properly oiled machine. Put a new spindle belt on it as there is a possibility you won't need to pull the spindle again unless you later decide to strip and paint.

Also, how about posting the serial number? We have very few serial numbers with matching bearing dates.
Hopefully the picture helps. I cannot remember the name of it however. But it has removable links and up to date 6months or so) it hasn't given me an issue.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427218643.474961.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427222869.166955.jpg
Ready for reassembly. I also have the spindle assembly at home awaiting reassembly also. What's a good oil weight to use for reassembly? I've been using 30wt oil is that appropriate

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427236263.017520.jpg
Much better. Now I have a question. The scroll gear that's under to forward most way I took out 7 screws and cannot get it to come off. I'm assuming it has pins to locate it. Anybody know? I don't want to break it.

both the half nuts & retainer and the miter gear and support assembly that the leadscrew pass through are bolted and pinned in place.
the pins are straight dowel pins.
zamak is soft and can break from a heavy hand...(don't ask how i know that :rolleyes:)

i'd gently pry from the bottom, a little in each corner at first until i got a good bite.
then proceed cautiously and you'll be OK!

Sorry not on the apron. I meant under the ways. It's not a scroll gear I can't remember what it's called but it's a long toothed rail that drives the apron and is held on by 7 screws. I'm assuming it's pinned on either end. But I'd like to be sure.

that make more sense, it's the gear rack you are referring to.
i do believe that is pinned as well.
if you tap on it with a hammer and a brass/bronze/aluminum/delrin drift you can gently work it off.
take another look just to make sure all the screws are out

(strtspdlx) "The scroll gear that's under the forward most way I took out 7 screws and cannot get it to come off. I'm assuming it has pins to locate it. Anybody know? I don't want to break it." --------- If you are talking about the straight rack gear mounted under the front way attached to the bed, then yes it has pins to locate it. (at least my old craftsman 12" does) I don't know if they're tapered pins or not but I drove them out from the backside with a pin punch each end a little at a time. I had a punch that was already bent a little that worked well. The pins stayed with the gear and were snug so I assumed they were tapered. The bed on mine also is shorter than yours so you might have 3 pins rather than 2. Also another possibility for the grunge found in your bearing could be chewed up nylon strings shed from an old drive belt. Just a thought. Enjoy your project cleanup.

Last edited by a moderator:
The belt shredded idea is definitely viable. And yes the rack gear is what I meant. I believe it only has two pins because I can lift the center pretty far. I will try to push them out tomorrow as its in desperate need of cleaning before I can reassemble the majority of parts.

Back