Atlas Horizontal mill

My Craftsman version is in pieces in the basement. I got out my magnet, and found that the Driver Gear MF-33A, the gear on the spindle , the tumbler gears MF-101-24A and MF-101-20A, the dual gear MF101-16L and MF-101-16, were magnetic. All the rest were non-magnetic (not including the gears on the table, I don't have that open). It seems that all the magnetic gears have bronze bushings, while the Zamak ones do not.

On a related tangent, my parts list shows that there is an internal toothed "shakeproof" washer between the M6-93 washer and the gear and bushing on gear M6-101-40, which is the gear after the stacked gears after the tumbler
. My mill came with a hardware store washer in the place of the M6-93 washer. I made a new M6-93, and when I torqued the screw down, the gear had enough (perhaps excess) clearance that it ran freely. Does anyone know why only this gear would be specified with a toothed washer for which I see no purpose?

Now I'll have to go find my copy of the parts breakdown... "shake proof" huh???

ROFL... Thanks for saving me a trip out to the shop! LOL..

I don't see why you couldn't substitute a drop of threadlocker on the 1/4 - 20 bolt!

I have had problems using thread locker fluid on small diameter threads... The screws will sometimes break when disassembling later, especially in places where I can't safely apply heat to soften the thread locker! Take it easy on that stuff!

Spiral_Chips

@45_40, that's exactly what I did. But I was worried that it was such an odd setup, there was something important I was missing.

@Spiral_Chips, thanks for the warning. I only use the blue stuff, and haven't really used it on stuff under 1/4" . I hadn't thought about it before, but I can see where as you get smaller, the ratio between the surface area of adhesion goes down much more slowly than the area of the screw, leading to problems. So there's a product for Loctite!! Small screw threadlock..

Like many things in life, guys think if a little is good, a lots better right??

Anyway, glad to hear it's back together, soon to be making chips??

@34_40
Probably not too soon. I have to put the Change-o-matic back together, mount that on the machine. Fix the shim pack on one side of the knee. Clean up and remount the table. Check and clean the table drive. Finish an arbor support drawing. Make an arbor support. Make arbors.
But that's part of the fun of old machines.

It sure was nice turning it on and hearing it whirr, though.

Okay,Okay// so theres a few "hurdles" before the chips fly! :wink:
I've been wanting to copy some of the ideas for a tramming tool but time is always at a premium!:mad:

But we'll get there. The sun is up and the temps as well. Gonna get outside and start some yard work I'm thinking.

Back