Atlas Horizontal mill

ANy of you see (or perhaps purchase?) the sweet oil /coolant pump on that popular auction site?

SOmeone disassembled a very well optioned mill. Really a shame in some ways..

Yes, I saw it, and I agree. People are parting out their mills for the money. Seems a shame.

I thought of bidding on the rotary table. It would have been fun to have the original Atlas table that went with the mill. But for about the same $$ I could have a new import that is more useful.

When the seller unloads all the stuff that people want he will be left with the large castings. I suppose they will go to the recycler.

I need the guards over the belts but they want 3 or 4 times what I'd feel comfortable paying!

But it was nice to actually see what that coolant system looked like.

If this was several months ago, I bid on the pump but got outbid. If it was recently, then the @#$%^ search I have running on eBay let me down.

Is this the pump system you are discussing?
Ebay Item # 141930084436
Sold on March 19, $499.99. WoW!

My search missed it too. (Atlas Mill Milling Machine) I should drop the word "machine".
The seller, "tool-in-the-box" seems to come up with lots of good parts. Add him to your follow list.

No don't. I'm sorry I said that. I want first dibs on everything he sells.

Spiral_Chips

Last edited by a moderator:
Good deals on Ebay are few and far between. I need a set of belt guards and original pulleys; but these parts sell at a level exceeding the price paid for the machine with an original vise and 100 cutters.
If I were to sink that much money into the mill I would not recover it when I sell in the future.

Restorer

Well, if you buy much tooling, you probably won't recover that cost, either.

I now see what my search missed this one. Which was in much better condition than the one from last year.

I also now see what the difference is between an M1-1 and an M1-1A. Fortunately, I have one of each.

That's the nature of rebuilding machines from parts. No one makes a profit building a Corvette from junkyard parts. It isn't going to happen with machine tools either. The value of the sum of the parts far exceeds the value of the entire automobile, machine, company, whatever.

But for those of us who are hobbyists this is still cheaper than buying a new machine of similar capability. A modern South Bend Heavy 10 (which is nothing at all like an SB heavy 10 built in Indiana years ago) is listed in the 2016 Grizzly catalog at $7500 plus $150 flat rate shipping. A 40-year old Craftsman Commercial 12x36 with a pile of accessories and tooling can be had for less than half that. And Grizzly's H-Mill isn't half the machine these Atlas mills are.

The Ebay seller's prices are high and continue to escalate because there is always someone willing to pay more. A few short weeks ago I was looking at a MFC Mill overarm bar support, M1-61 and I balked at paying $199.99. It sold on Feb 20 for the asking price. Two days ago another sold for a Buy Now price of $275, a whopping 37% higher in only a month! It is just a matter of market dynamics. Many of these parts are rare and there are more prospective buyers than there are parts, and those buyers are willing to pay the asking price.

I have noticed many Atlas/Craftsman lathe parts that were sold at auction on Ebay a couple of years ago now command higher Buy Now prices and they sell! Sellers are not amenable to the wide fluctuations of auction prices so they are leaning more towards Buy Now prices and all they need do is just sit and wait.

Spiral_Chips

And in the case of items that are auction and not buy it now we are to blame for the high price. It seems that several items that start with a low price end up with a major biding war. Not the fault of the seller in this case but of us the bidders. Like Spiral_Chips said, supply and demand.

Back