Atlas Horizontal Mill

Interesting how availability is so regional. Atlas mills show up on Craigslist regularly around here (eastern PA).

Hah, yikes! I regret posting that now :) I'd seen it on our local craigslist for a while, and it looked like someone had at least gone over it to clean/paint it, I hadn't looked close enough to see how rough it was!

The table t-slot has a bust-out too.
well spotted! Notice that you can't see the spindle or belt configuration. Many of the machines in our area are not great, but none as bad as this one looks....

This is what they're supposed to look like!
1618176010802.png

I found a MH mill for 1100. I was hoping to find an MFC. But i am unsure of the level of control with the level system vs a lead screw in terms of both feed speed and dimensional control.

I think if you may find it frustrating if you’re thinking of using the machine in a conventional way. The lever arrangement is really meant for limited and repetitive action — say running a small part through a pair of slitting blades to quickly cut two slots and then changing in another part to repeat the operation over again — and trying to perform normal milling operations with that setup could be pretty challenging. I imagine it could be done, but i don’t think it would be ideal. Having said that, I’ve not used a lever-operated machine so have no firsthand experience. My MF has the normal lead screws and feed mechanism, but I think there may be someone on the forum who does have a lever machine so hopefully he sees this and can comment.

-frank

I think if you may find it frustrating if you’re thinking of using the machine in a conventional way. The lever arrangement is really meant for limited and repetitive action — say running a small part through a pair of slitting blades to quickly cut two slots and then changing in another part to repeat the operation over again — and trying to perform normal milling operations with that setup could be pretty challenging. I imagine it could be done, but i don’t think it would be ideal. Having said that, I’ve not used a lever-operated machine so have no firsthand experience. My MF has the normal lead screws and feed mechanism, but I think there may be someone on the forum who does have a lever machine so hopefully he sees this and can comment.

-frank
that's consistent with what I have envisioned.

I found a MH mill for 1100. I was hoping to find an MFC. But i am unsure of the level of control with the level system vs a lead screw in terms of both feed speed and dimensional control.
Well, I'm still thinking about selling my MFC, but it would be considerably more expensive than the one you found. No shipping charge, though!

I have one salvaged from a defunct machine shop. I don't know what it is other than Atlas and lever operated X axis. It also does not have overarm support. Don't know what I'm going to do with it but I'm about 7 hours (I think) from Minneapolis.
I'll try to post some pics. I believe I'd ask less than $500.
Aaron

Lever operated rack controls are designed for single, repetitive, roughing operations: planing, slotting, dovetailing, etc. They can be precise operations but are typically used for for first, roughing operations.

Dial operated lead screw controls are designed for multi-axis operations: pocketing, stepping, patterns, etc. They are by nature precise due to the dial/leadscrew fidelity and can be dual purposed as roughing machines. Finishing operations with precise cuts can be achieved with dial/leadscrew operated machines.

Unless you have a product you are selling that requires a fast, simple roughing operation - I would stay away from a lever operated machine. However, if you are simply curious, nostalgic or purely in it for the hobby-collector factor, a lever operated machine makes a lot of sense.

Back