Atlas Jewelers lathe

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just wanted to share something I found on the Internet today. It goes here for sure, but we won't be getting the model number. Ha!

It's on the FB marketplace for 500 dollars in Springfield IL. The seller has some nice stuff for sale. And while I don't know if he's the one that did this, it looks like whoever it was did a good job. I sure wish he'd have been retiring 6 years ago. I'd have skipped work to drive up there and see if I could make a deal.

Attachments

• F33C0B01-6A2A-41A8-B66B-357403801F87.jpeg
    F33C0B01-6A2A-41A8-B66B-357403801F87.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 165
Interesting, he cut the bed off a (I think) 12" Atlas and replaced the carriage with some x/y table stuff from some other machine
Bed wear wouldn't matter then. Kind of a large swing and tall tool position though, for making tiny parts. Better to use a 6" as a donor
-M

What exactly defines a "jeweler's" lathe?
Is it more precise? It oughta be, i would think.
Except just cutting off an Atlas doesn't make it more precise, does it?
Is it kinda like a "gunsmith's" lathe? That is, if you do gunsmithing on it, it's a gunsmith's lathe?
(Okay, yes, i guess a larger through-hole is a huge benefit, true.)
So is there a corresponding feature on a Jeweler's Lathe that allows it to be considered as such?

I think that you are probably right about it originally having been an Atlas built lathe with tapered roller bearing spindle. But the counter shaft bracket is from a 10" horizontal countershaft equipped machine. The 12" bracket doesn't look anything like that. Probably an early 10F. However, I would contend that is has been converted into a poor capability horizontal mill. It appears that the entire carriage assembly has been replaced by an X-Y table. If it has any vertical movement capability, it must be quite limited. And if it has only the capability that I can see, I wouldn't call it a lathe of any type, jewelers or otherwise.

It is obvious that it has been used as a lathe, note the indexable square turret tool holder with cutting tools still in it. I'd guess it was found with parts removed, perhaps even the bed broken off, and the owner hacked together what we see. The XY table is obviously a Delta wood lathe item, look at an old catalog or images; I lusted after one of those as a kid, never got one, now don't care, having gone onward to the real McCoy machines.

So is there a corresponding feature on a Jeweler's Lathe that allows it to be considered as such?
I think, because it only has one point of attachment to the bench, with a floating tailstock end. That's my guess for why he'd call it that.

Well, regardless of what you want to call it, most people would classify it as a parts source. If for example, someone had a babbit bearing 10F with badly worn spindle bearings, it has what appears to be a complete 10F Timken headstock with back gears. And a horizontal countershaft assembly. And the X-Y table might be usable on a drill press.

Probably true, but for the sake of argument - and giving the benefit of the doubt - the head MIGHT be very highly accurized. Maybe it's been bored and/or honed with super-duper bearings and shaft. (a guy might mention that in the ad, I guess)
The carriage, such as it is, is bolted down and the ZX table seems to be ZXZ-compound. I wonder how much slop is in that crank-rig? Did he go through and put in new screws and nuts? Maybe regrind some surfaces? That would really be sweet.
I didn't realize the single point bench attach was a thing, but makes some sense.
Anyway, if everything was good and tight I could see a guy doing "jeweler" work on it.
Or, because the world we live in is what it is, it's a chop job with a new name.
Oh, well, worth a dream....

Back