Atlas lathe 10d restoration

Something correct:

Well I must have done something correct for now after doing the above ways adjustments I turned the same peace of aluminum with the below results...

1) Adjusted the stock in the 4 jaw chuck for around..005"

2) removed maybe. 04" of aluminum. Travel distance is approximately 2.5"

3) Runout maybe at .002"

4) Taper is basically 0 were before I had .05" taper within 2.5" of travel.

I will have to get a longer stock probably 12" in length and try again however I think this is a good start.

Attachments

• 20210214_194916.jpg
    20210214_194916.jpg
    886.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210214_194813.jpg
    20210214_194813.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20210214_195020.jpg
    20210214_195020.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Help!!!

Ok I'm not sure I'm understanding this totally...

Below photos shows the level indicating pretty good now after some ugly looking shims under the lathe bolts lol... now when I move the level as shown below to two places in the center of the lathe its off. This lathe has no adjustments to the center ways unless maybe some jacks were installed.

My question is... is this normal? Its almost a futile mission if you can't make the level true along the entire ways no?
That's a real puzzler! I'd almost be willing to suspect that the bed, originally twisted, did not untwist evenly when you leveled the two ends. But what to do about it???

Is your shop air conditioned/heated? If so, maybe you could turn off the climate control for a week or so, let the air inside warm up and cool for a week or two, which might let the cast iron of the bed "relax" a bit with temperature cycling. Of course, there probably isn't that large a temperature swing in Florida. But that's the best I can come up with right now.

That's a real puzzler! I'd almost be willing to suspect that the bed, originally twisted, did not untwist evenly when you leveled the two ends. But what to do about it???

Is your shop air conditioned/heated? If so, maybe you could turn off the climate control for a week or so, let the air inside warm up and cool for a week or two, which might let the cast iron of the bed "relax" a bit with temperature cycling. Of course, there probably isn't that large a temperature swing in Florida. But that's the best I can come up with right now.
Thanks!!! Not a bad idea however it's not climate controlled. Will have to wait until I get a 12" bar and check for taper again however I have made a significant improvement.

Interesting that I don't recall anyone checking or mentioning the center of the ways when regarding twist on YouTube using the level method. Only place the level at the headstock and tailstock. Maybe the assumption is the center should not have twist if the ends have been corrected.

Dave

Yes. You're the first one I've ever heard of that checked more than the end points.

Well I guess my mother was correct when she said I was different lol lol :)

Dave

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Headstock alignment:

Ok a change in planning.. I stumbled across this idea on using your coaxial indicator placed in your 3 jaw chuck or collet. I placed my indicator in a 3 jaw as I don't have a collet setup for the lathe yet.

Indicator is showing around .001"

Dave
285f801d40f9d412aa1ea1ff69cccef9.jpg
bd4d88b43bdc7be26efcc4cc4f9484f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Back