Atlas lathe 10d restoration

I really would advise against using grease on those headstock bearings. Those are dust seals, they won't keep out everything and it will be a total PITA to regrease the bearings. Use the oil cups, give each one a squirt of hydraulic oil (or bearing oil of your choice) before each use and you'll be golden. The oil will provide the lubrication and the frequent replacement will flush out any crap that gets in there.

I use a few sheets of folded kitchen towel under the headstock to catch the flow through and swap it out every time I clean out the chip pan.

Thanks for your input!!

The headstock and bearings were assembled sometime back and ready to go. I understand your concerns however over 90% of the oil applied to the bearings gets trapped between the racers and casting never making contact with the bearings.

Another thing I observed is that the oil hole gets clogged.

When the lathe is completed I will be looking at making a cover for the front bearing for it appears we have plenty of room between the casting and spindle.

At the moment however I'm still stuck with the washers mentioned above.

Thanks!!!
Dave

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Forward/Reverse Gearbox

Anyone know what the two cardboard like washers are made of inside the gearbox? I'd like to replace mine.

Thanks all!!
Dave

Dave
First of all, congratulations on the restoration. It looks great!
I'm not familiar with the time period that lathe was manufactured, but kinda going along with what pontiac428 mentioned... could those "washers" be made with something that was more readily available during the war years other than copper, bronze, brass, etc. etc.?
Just kinda curious myself...

Bill

Honestly I don't know.. I'd be more inclined to replace them with brass or other soft metals for the gears spin on the washers when utilizing the apron lead screw.

Understanding what the material they used in the past would have been beneficial for understanding what to replace them with.

Just don't know and I'm open to suggestions as usual :)

Dave

Ooo and thanks Bill!!

It's a Atlas 10D around 1936 I believe

Below is the photo of the washers in question in the manual to better understand what I'm looking at... yeah I should have done this earlier lol...

9-53 and 9-51 are the washers in the manual
a810620c89e69de3b819f28fdb61fc43.jpg

Forward/Reverse Gearbox:

Below is the gearbox ready for assembly. I made a mistake in the previous posting the original washers appeared to be .032" NOT .0027

You can see the new brass washers on the gears that I made. I didn't do a very good job with the hole punches however they are perfectly usable. I will probably turn new washers when the lathe is completed.

Notice the old casting the handle section was broken off from the casting and I was missing the handle and yoke. Was able to find a complete gearbox off of a Atlas THF lathe. Cleaned it all up and painted it.

I actually have three of the original washers and they all measure. 032" so they are probably still good. We will see how we do with the brass washers first I guess.

Dave
cfafd62a8c510a2dd42cd4c9e4a784ff.jpg

Gearbox Washer:

Well had to add another washer to the center gear in the forward/reverse gearbox. The .032 was way to small. The original washers measured .032 when removed so they obviously worn down significantly. Getting the center gear to fit properly was alot of tweaking to remove the play and find a happy medium.

How often do you see a 1936 lathe on its side lol... had to turn it over to install the last headstock bolt and place some grease on the forward reverse box.

2626ae2047553743ea46de84268efc17.jpg
c6063a90ae66a553023aae667a4dbcfa.jpg

New Parts:

Thought I'd post some of the newly manufactured parts that are available online if someone is new like me and working on a atlas lathe.

My lathe had a crash that appears to have originated from the change gears or threading use. My lathe broke everything that is commonly breakable in the atlas lathe series when a crash occurs and then some. Probably why it was taken out of service back in day.

One thought (just a thought lol) looking at the photo below I purchased two sleeves. They are I think steel sleeves with brown plastic bushing instead of the original metal bushings. If one is not using the aftermarket plastic change gears this might help save the lathe during a crash were hopefully the plastic will give way before other major damage occurs.

The traverse gear box is aluminum with steel gears and should never break again. Wait to you see the photos of the original one when I post the saddle/apron work.

KNOW YOUR LATHE:
Just a word of caution... not all the atlas lathes share the same parts even though they look similar!! If your working on a atlas 10D they have the older 5/8 lead screw. I believe all the other 10" and 12" models have the 3/4 screw. This means all the parts shown in the below photos will not fit the lathes with the 3/4 screw. However if you are working on the newer 3/4 leads screw 10" lathes they are available at this time. The 9" and 10D however shares the same 3/4 screw and alot of parts ar interchangeable between them. Another note I believe all the 9" 10" and 12" lathes share the same change gears with the exception of the newer version have more gear options. Also I believe all the 9,10 and 12" lathes share the same forward/reverse gearbox for the 3/4 lead screw is tapered down on the ends to 5/8. The 10D box had the original atlas name plate on the casting however I don't think the other 10 and 12" lathes had it. None the less with or without the name plate I believe they are the same. My box was off a atlas THF and fits nicely on the 10D. Yeah I know confusing so do your homework before purchasing!!

Things are a bit slow because of the heat in Florida however I will be updating the completed headstock shortly as I'm just doing some final work on the gears.

Dave :)
034359ef4b86a1e9a75023573667af62.jpg
5a8561cc00470389e118b4093f0d98b9.jpg

Last edited:
I look forward to your posts and meticulous approach to rebuilding your Atlas.

Thanks Boswell!!

It's a fun learning experience for me :)

Dave

Back