Atlas lathe bed width and rail thickness on the 10/12 power crossfeed model.

agfrvf

Registered
Registered
Looking into upgrading my 9-95A to a power crossfeed. I was wondering if I could fit the 10/12inch apron and slide onto my 9 inch machine. Also if anyone knows what the proper torque on the Babbitt bearing caps that would be helpful.

PS my ways are 5-3/4 x 3/8 inch

Thank you.

My 1936 (?) Craftsman 101.07830 12 x 24's ways measure 5-13/16 x 3/8" so I think the conversion MAY be possible. You'd probably have to reuse your compound as the 10-12" had a riser cast into the compound to bring the tool holder up into line with the higher spindle, as I understand it.

On babbet caps, I've not heard of a torque specification but that's certainly not to say there isn't one. I tighten them down until I start feeling resistance when turning the spindle by hand, then loosen them about a quarter turn and see how it runs. Several of these lathes I've had over the years would lock the spindle if the cap bolts were tightened to around 40 ft. lbs. or a little better. Using this method, I'll always mark the bolt heads with a silver Sharpie marker by running a single line from the top of the bolt down the side, over the washer(s) and just onto the cap surface. If any of the bolts move, it's immediately noticeable.

After going through all of the available parts lists on the 9", 10", and early 12", I concluded that the four bed castings (four lengths) did not change from 1932 until 1957, when the heavier 1/2" bed was introduced. The finish machining and part number suffix letters varied over the years mainly because several different leg designs were offered (with different attachment hole locations) And where the two headstock positioning holes were drilled may have varied. So I am relatively certain that the 10F carriage will physically fit onto your bed.

However, I suspect that the tool post will end up half an inch higher because I think that the difference in swing between the 9" and the first 10" was made up by raising the top of the dovetail on the assumed 10-9 carriage by half an inch above where the dovetail was on the 9-9 carriage that you have. To check this, you need to lay a straight edge across the top of the compound slide and over the bed and measure the height. Then, run your cross slide toward the back of the lathe to uncover the top of the dovetail. Lay a straight edge across the dovetail and over the bed and measure the height. Someone or several someones with a 10, a 10D and a 10F needs to make the same measurements.

On the babbit bearing cap bolt torque question, all that I have ever found on the subject is what's on the page from all 1937 copyright MOLO versions shown below.
Pages from BABBIT.jpg
end.

3-13/32 bed to top of compound
2-15/32 bed to compound slide dovetail
1-3/32" bed to carriage dovetail

On a 9" lathe.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. Thanks. I edited your earlier post to put the info all in one spot. Now we just need the equivalent info for a 10, 10D and either 10F or 101.07403, 101.27430 or 101.27440.

BTW, where did you get "9-95A" as the model number of your lathe? My available info says that the 9" model numbers were 918 (the stripped down Utility Lathe), and 936, 942, 948 and 954.

I got the number off of the back of the headstock it looks a lot like a 10 but the bed to center measures 4.5. The headstock ooks unique. The headstock has no front belt guard.

Hmmm. The headstock casting and part number is 9-2. I don't know what that number could be.

It seems like a 918B looking at the lathe.co.uk site
It has the round style cover, banjo and gear instructions, swiveling compound, no back gear, and 2 pulleys for the motor.

Back