Atlas lathe bed width and rail thickness on the 10/12 power crossfeed model.

AG,

Disregard my "photo" question.

If it has a 2-step motor pulley and a 3-step spindle pulley, then it's one of the 918's. If it has a swiveling compound and all of the change gears, it is a 918B. There is a parts list for the 918's in DOWNLOADS.

Group,

I know that there have been a dozen or more recent mentions of 10" machines in this Forum. It shouldn't take any of you more than an hour to take the two height measurements requested above and report them here. So please respond.

Dang- I was headed to the shop to get some numbers, then I remembered- I have cleaned and repaired my apron/carriage assembly, but they aint back on the lathe! Gimme a minute.....

Dang- I was headed to the shop to get some numbers, then I remembered- I have cleaned and repaired my apron/carriage assembly, but they aint back on the lathe! Gimme a minute.....

Oops- fat fingers! Anyway, on my 101.27440, I get 1.295 to top of carriage dovetail, and 4.821 to top of compound. This is a 12" lathe. Hope this helps.

The original question (or one of them) was whether or not the power cross-feed carriage would fit on a 9" lathe. We now know that the height of the carriage dovetail above the ways is 1.094" on the 9" and 1.295 on the last three 3/8" bed 12" (and by extension, the 10F, as it uses the same carriage). We know that the basic carriage dovetail dimensions never changed from 1932 to 1981. So your carriage slide, compound swivel and compound slide should fit. Whether your compound slide will fit the the dovetail on the later compound swivel or not we don't know. You will just have to try it if you make the conversion.

Don't forget that if you do this, you also have to change out your 5/8" lead screw for a 3/4" one. I would suggest that it would be best to use parts off of a 10F than a 12", and I think that you will have to change out the lead screw right bearing.

I now know the carraige of my TH-54 will fit my 918. However the lead screw is a different diameter but same thickness at the transmission.

Right. Way thickness varied, but way width and distance between the ways remained the same from 1932 through 1981. As far as I've been able to determine, the same bed castings were used for everything except the 6" up until 1957 (hole locations varied). And except for the leadscrews with the slip clutch on the left end, all of the 9", 10" and 12" lead screws were 5/8" diameter on the left end.

I am curious on this as well ... agfrvf ...have you actually done this modification? I have an Atlas 9 inch that maybe in the future I might want power cross feed on...

A TH-54 fell in my Lap and I sold off the 918. I believe it is possible to swap it. My guess is you would need the saddle & apron assemply, Lead screw and F/N/R transmission.

Back