Atlas lathe bronze bushing removal

Gary Mundy

Registered
Registered
I have a Atlas/Craftsman lathe 101.28990. I am planning on replacing the two bushings in the bracket (thats what Sears parts catalog calls it) which is located under the headstock. It has a 3/4" diameter spindle running through it with pulleys on both ends. Sears catalog shows two bronze bushings, one on each end of the bracket. The bushing measures ID 3/4", OD 7/8" and 1 1/2" long. If I start pressing one of the bushings out, it will run into the second bushing and I will be pushing both out at the same time. I don't have a press other than a vice. Will a vice work? Any other suggestions?

The concern would be putting uneven force with the vise and fracturing the bracket when they touch into each other. But if you're really careful...it may work. Ditto for re-installing the new ones.
Mark S.

try to use a piece of threaded stock and a sleeve that the bushings will slip into. only apply force to the casting at the bushing so you don't break the casting. can you pull out one bushing each direction and not pull out 2 at once. another way is to use a slide hammer and tap the inside of the bushing then put that part in the vice and slide hammer it out. you can even use a pipe thread and a shout piece of pipe and make your own slide hammer. tap whatever size tap fits best you don't need 100% threads just don't go through the bushing wall. remember not to put a load on the casting just but it up against the say the vise jaws to secure it there should be lots more ways. Cutting through one side of the bushing with a hacksaw blade will loosen the bushing and you could tap it out dont cut the hole in the casting with the blade. do you have a lathe then you can make some washers that fit just right bill

Yes, you can pull the bushings out, one in each direction and yes I have a lathe to make some washers. I had thought about carefully using a hacksaw to slit the bushing. I am going to give the above a try tomorrow. Thanks Gary

You could use a carriage bolt with the head smaller then the casting but big enough to hold the bushing long enough to pass thru with a 1" pipe nipple with washers on the pipe just tighten the nut it will pull the bushing into the nipple and no damage . Reverse it to install.

Silverbullet: Great idea and good timing. I am going to tackle it today. Thanks

Back