Atlas Lathe Carriage Stop

Does somebody on here make and sell carriage stops for the 12x36 Craftsman/Atlas Lathe?

Thank you
lostbuckaroo:

Youtube creator Tom Griffin has an excellent video series where he shows the viewer how to make a carriage stop for the Atlas Lathe. He even includes drawings. I made one for my 10F per his instructions and it works great. Happy to make same for your lathe for cost of materials and shipping.

Regards, Bill Buckalew
(aka "buckaroo" as a kid)
Carriage Stop on Atlas.JPG

Last edited:
I also wanted a carriage stop/indicator mount for my 10" Atlas. I bought a Mighty Mag holder but found that I couldn't really mount it anywhere and have the indicator hit the carriage on a good spot.

I lack a milling machine to carve one out of a block but I do have a welder. So I ended up making this one.

1590444576844.png

It clamps on the way with two 3/8" bolts and has a lug for mounting a dial indicator.

More details in posts 352, 353, 357, and 365 of the Quarantine Projects thread...

Quarantine Projects

Last edited:
lostbuckaroo:

Youtube creator Tom Griffin has an excellent video series where he shows the viewer how to make a carriage stop for the Atlas Lathe. He even includes drawings. I made one for my 10F per his instructions and it works great. Happy to make same for your lathe for cost of materials and shipping.

Regards, Bill Buckalew
(aka "buckaroo" as a kid)
View attachment 325006
I have a plan to do something similar to this, except I'm going to run a wire through the center of the adjustment bolt, to an electrically isolated brass button on the carriage end. Tie the wire into the emergency stop control of VFD. The goal is to stop the motor when the button gets grounded. I'll have to finagle a way to back off the "switch" before firing the VFD back up, but that'll probably consist of turning the head backwards a couple of turns by hand.

Back