Atlas Lathe Countershaft 10" vs 12"

yendor

Active User
Registered
Does anyone know if the counter shaft lengths used for the 10" and 12" are the same?
I know the 10" used caged needle bearings and the 12" used Oil-lite type sintered brass bearings
They both use a 3/4" shaft and I am making replacement Bearing retainers that will use an Oil-Lite type bearing like the 12" model had, but I need to replace my counter shaft as it is badly scored where the old needle bearings were.
The 12" does not have the same bored ends with screw down grease caps, which is fine, as I plan is to eliminate the need for them by using the Oil Lite bearings

What I need to know is if the shaft lengths are the same.
If they are I have my eye on one that will make it so I don't have to buy material and machine in the woodruff key slot.

I can’t help you with the 12”, but I’m standing in front of my 10” Atlas QC54 10F and it has a 10.25” countershaft. End to end with grease cups removed.

• I can’t tell for sure from your wording which one you have, but it kind of seems like you have the 10”. Sorry if this info doesn’t help.
• Note with the pulleys on I couldn’t get a very accurate measurement. This is holding a beat up carpenter’s square on one shaft end & a 2 foot plastic level on the other. But I bet it’s pretty close.

Yes I have a 10" with the Grease Caps.
What I need to know is the Length of a 12" Counter shaft.
I would be eliminating the Grease caps by making new bearing holders and using pressed in Sintered Brass bearings.

The part number of the 12" countershaft spindle is L3-107. The factory drawing is in Downloads. Which I guess that you don't have access to. The LOA of L3-107 is 8-3/8". The diameter is 0.7500/0.7495". 7/16" in from the left end is a dimple made with a modified 11/32" dia. drill bit. The modification is to grind the end to an included angle of 160 deg. (10 deg. on each side). Located 5-13/16" from the left end is the center of a Woodruff key seat.

The spindle that you have is 10-107, but we do not have a drawing of it. To do what you are trying to do without having to acquire a the 12" hanger, you will need to make two modified 9-108 Races with the ID modified to fit the Oilite bushings.

My plan is to do just that make the repalcement (2) 9-108 Bearing Cage Holders and press in the Oilite bearing.
The reason for the question is I also need to replace my actual counter shaft as it is badly scored from being run dry ( that was how I received it).

There is a shaft from a 12" readily available for a price that would be more than a break even for me to purchase material and tooling to cut the woodruff key slot. Now that I have the measurements I can check to see if I eliminate the Grease Cap threads from both end if the 12" shaft will work.

Looks like I need to either find a good 10" Counter Shaft or make one.

The 12" Counter Shaft has been measured at 8-3/8".
Today I measured between the Screw On Grease Caps as they sit just outside of the Bearing holders and would be eliminated .
9-3/8" a full inch longer so apparently the counter shaft for the 12" is a No Go.
I've never cut a slot for a Woodruff key before - there's a 1st time for everything.

I would suggest drilling the tops of the new bushing carriers for a straight oil cup similar to those for the spindle bearings. Keeping those topped up will maximize the life of the Oilite bushings.

I thought that I recalled someone on here making carriers for bushings last year or the year before. But the only thing that I turned up was a drawing for a carrier for two sealed ball bearings.

Back