Atlas Lathe help identifying. Thank you.

Jeff72

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

My first time posting here, so I hope I’m in the correct spot.

My neighbour has acquired a new to him lathe, and really doesn’t know much bout it. He’s a retired machinist, and not adept at the internet, so I offered to help him. My research has led me to this site. Lots of info here. I’ve been working in the aircraft maintenance industry, dabbling in machining work. Mostly making a few simple parts here and there, bushings etc. So I’m happy to have come across this site and look forward to learning more.

The lathe in question is an Atlas, that much I know, but that’s about all we know. From my research I think it is a 618? I am assuming that means it is a 6” x 18”. It seems to be in working order, but needs new belts. Any other into would be appreciated. I did find this site:

Thanks for the help, look forward to reading more threads.

1C607269-F59E-41D7-B4E1-40727845AAAA.jpeg

F266BD5E-93EA-47BF-9C4C-91D2B4C946C1.jpeg

A79942EF-C39A-4935-BB27-A37E8FA5074C.jpeg

The lathe does appear to be an Atlas 618. They were made from mid 1937 until mid 1972. The one in your photos has the third and final version countershaft which came out in late 1939. The spindle belt is a 3L350. The motor belt for bench mounting is 3L210.

The left spindle bearing still has its original oil cup. Unfortunately, someone has drilled out the hole for the oil cup over the right spindle bearing and replaced it with a grease fitting. You cannot covert it back to oil (which you should do, SAE 20 ND) without pulling the spindle and carefully cleaning all of the dried grease off of and out of the bearing.

The compound slide is not original to the machine. It could possibly be shop made but more likely is off of either a late Atlas 3950 or an Atlas 10100. There is no particular reason to change it.

You will find several 618 owners and parts manuals in Downloads. And also some for the Craftsman 101.21400, which is the same machine except sold by Sears. Access to Downloads requires Donor status ($10/year and up),

This where you come for information, and learning, attitude is cordial, or you will be shown the door. I have not seen a subject come up here where one of the members has not been able to furnish information. There is also a well appointed archive for manuals, and videos for members. I'm hoping your pal can at least log into his computer, then you just need to put HM in his favorites, and he can 1 click it. Welcome to the site. :encourage:

Thank you guys, appreciate the help. Looking forward to more reading here.

The famous little Atlas. Looks like the previous owner didn't believe in clean machinery. My hands feel greasy just looking at it. Have fun. :cupcake:
-Mark

Nice little 618 there. Since you have to pull the spindle to put new belts on, it‘s not more work to clean up the greased bearing and replace the grease zero woh a proper Gits Oiler.

Did any tooling come with the lathe? Not pictured are the full set of change gears, additional tool holders, centers, face plate / dogs, 4 jaw chuck, steady rest, etc. Just about anything you would want or need for this lash is available on EBay, hour the prices are not cheap. some people use 3D printed change gears instead of ponying up for the zamak originals.

I can’t tell from the pictures if the half nut lever is missing or not on that lathe. If so, all the parts are available, but if You need half nuts, make sure the ones you buy will fit this lathe. There were two different widths , depending on when the lathe was made.

Another thing to check would be for any wear to the ways. It looks in the pics like that might be an issue with this one, or maybe it’s just dirt - best to check.

there are several good websites where people show their repairs, improvements, and projects with these lathes. My favorite is “deansphotographica.com”. He’s retired from camera repair, but looking at his Atlas 618 site is well worth the time. It helped me quite a bit. There is even a set of very good instructions for removing and reinstalling the headstock spindle.

best of luck with it

paulh

Back