Atlas Lathe - Howdy

Welcome! You might find some dates on the spindle bearings. I'm sure others will chime in with other ideas for dating your machine, though.

New to the forum I have had an Atlas 10x36 lathe for three years. Here are some pictures and the serial number if someone can help with a possible manufacturing date.

jlloydpark,

Welcome aboard. I would estimate the basic lathe as having been made in 1947. The QCGB was added within the next 3 years or so as from the shape of the tumbler lever, it is the early version. And if it had been bought with the QCGB, the model would have been QC54 instead of TH54. I would recommend adding an oil drip pan between the lathe and the cabinet top. And if the lathe has seen much use, you may not be oiling it enough, as the wood top shows no signs of ever having had oil dripped on it.

jlloydpark,

Welcome aboard. I would estimate the basic lathe as having been made in 1947. The QCGB was added within the next 3 years or so as from the shape of the tumbler lever, it is the early version. And if it had been bought with the QCGB, the model would have been QC54 instead of TH54. I would recommend adding an oil drip pan between the lathe and the cabinet top. And if the lathe has seen much use, you may not be oiling it enough, as the wood top shows no signs of ever having had oil dripped on it.

wa5cab, many thanks for the information and the probable date. Good idea on the drip pan. The lathe gets occasional use, but I clean up the oil spill underneath each time I use it. About every third or fourth time I do a deep clean and get all the gunk under the head where it is hard to reach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back