[4]

Atlas lathe need help with basic equiptment function

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

00harleydyna

Swarf
Registered Member
Just picked up a atlas lathe. Total bed length is 42", swing 12", distance between centers is about 28". I'm pretty green when it comes to machining. Could someone with experience on a similar machine please help me out with some questions I have. Thanks!

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Start asking and I bet you will get many responses! If you are wanting to know the basic functions of your lathe it might not hurt to also look in the Atlas section of the Downloads area. We are definitely here to help if we can. :encourage:

westerner

If you are gonna be stupid, ya gotta be TOUGH!
There are many here running Atlas/Craftsman lathes, including myself. 101.27440 is mine. Find your numbers with a similar configuration, and post them up. This site is a fantastic resource, with lots of knowledge, and many helpful people. :big grin:

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Just picked up a atlas lathe. Total bed length is 42", swing 12", distance between centers is about 28". I'm pretty green when it comes to machining. Could someone with experience on a similar machine please help me out with some questions I have. Thanks!
Welcome to H-M, I was going to say basically what @tweinke just posted.

Lordbeezer

Guys and gals here are gonna want pictures..you came to the right place to ask questions.lots of very smart people here..

00harleydyna

Swarf
Registered Member
I got it from my friends family. It belonged to a deceased family member who was described to me as an "inventor". I guess he had 31 patents. I can't find any markings on it because he refurbished it. I have a Chinese benchtop lathe that I can run but I wanted something bigger and this fell in my lap. I watched some YouTube videos and I think I'm starting to understand some things I was able to make a .060 total cut on stainless and was really surprised with a near mirror image.

Attachments

00harleydyna

Swarf
Registered Member
I got the lathe, 4" and 6" 3 jaw Chuck's with both sets of jaws. 6" 4 jaw chuck, back plate, a very nice kobalt tool box, 6 starret dial indicators in various stages of usability, a couple cheaper ones too. Alot of calipers and mics. About 50 pounds of tooling, 300 pounds of bar stock. Lots of drill bits and home made tooling, a big air compressor. Another brand new 5 year old ge motor, some belts that I don't know what they're for and a bunch of other gadgets. What could a median price be for all of that stuff? To change the belts that control spindle speed from the small v pulley to the bigger one do I need to change belts? Only thing I can think of that I didn't get a good bit of are the atlas tool holders. I think I missed them in a drawer or something because there are only 2 of them and they are for 1/4 stock. I have a extra oxa qctp but I think it's a bit too small.

00harleydyna

Swarf
Registered Member
There are many here running Atlas/Craftsman lathes, including myself. 101.27440 is mine. Find your numbers with a similar configuration, and post them up. This site is a fantastic resource, with lots of knowledge, and many helpful people. :big grin:
Where would I find that number. The only number I can find is one stamped on the end of the bed that looks like a part number and some smaller numbers cast into the big pieces.

markba633csi

It's an Atlas 12" no doubt about it. An AXA quick change tool post would be a good size for it, but if you have the old style lantern one you can use that for the time being. Yes, you move the belt to change speeds. Did you get any extra change gears with it? Looks like it may have a home made countershaft unit- more pictures would be helpful
Welcome to HM
mark

00harleydyna

Swarf
Registered Member
How much wear on the bed is bad. With my basic measuring equiptment I can measure about .004 where the carriage rides the bed. Is this acceptable. It's only on about 5 inches closest to the Chuck.

00harleydyna

Swarf
Registered Member
Yes
It's an Atlas 12" no doubt about it. An AXA quick change tool post would be a good size for it, but if you have the old style lantern one you can use that for the time being. Yes, you move the belt to change speeds. Did you get any extra change gears with it?
Welcome to HM
mark
Yes I got 13 change gears, a big nch of pulleys and things that might not go with it. Does moving the belt need to use another belt. This is what I'm looking at

markba633csi

Normally you move one or both belts unless the pulleys are not original- lets see what's under the covers
Most lathes of this age will have wear near the headstock, usually not a serious issue

00harleydyna

Swarf
Registered Member

Attachments

ttabbal

Estimating price is extremely difficult as it really boils down to what someone in a certain area will pay and how common machines like that are in that area. East coast, not much as they are more common there. There have been ads in NJ for free machines recently posted in the Craigslist section on this forum, for example. In my area, probably around 1-2k depending on wear and such. I've seen local SouthBend lathes of similar size reposted in local classifieds for over a year where the seller won't budge from 2k+. I've seen them disappear before I could text them at 1k. Just depends.

00harleydyna

Swarf
Registered Member
Yeah that's what I've been seeing. I paid $250 for everything. I almost bought a nicely functioning but poorly tooled leblonde of similar size last week for $800 so I'm glad I waited.

pontiac428

Looks like you got a very good deal! Next step is to read the Atlas Manual of Lathe Operation, or MOLO, available in the downloads section of this site. That should get you up and running.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

markba633csi

Darn good deal I'd say, considering all the measuring tools and so forth. I'm surprised you didn't get a steady rest in the bargain
The Leblond you passed up may have been a better lathe per se, but one needs to look at the total package and intended usage- for hobby use the Atlas/Craftsman lathes are quite adequate and great values-good bang for the buck
m

Last edited:

pdentrem

Active User
You got a good deal for the lathe and tools included seals the deal. The drive belt on the motor looks old, I would replace that one for sure. Having the link belt for the second belt saves headache of taking to spindle out to change that one. I had an Atlas for 20 years and it never let me down, I do that all by myself!

westerner

If you are gonna be stupid, ya gotta be TOUGH!
The pic you posted with the tag on the back of the bed- that is your model #. Look in the Atlas/Craftsman forum here for lots of good info. Around here, like in Utah as ttabbal said, that lathe with the tooling you got would make it worth $1200 to near $2000. Enjoy it! It will teach you many things.

markba633csi

I'm not a big fan of link-belts; they are a quick fix but you might consider pulling the spindle and replacing it with a conventional v-belt sometime in the future..
mark

kd4gij

Active User
I'm not a big fan of link-belts; they are a quick fix but you might consider pulling the spindle and replacing it with a conventional v-belt sometime in the future..
mark

Why? I run link belts on my Craftsman 12" lathe and they run much smother and quitter then regular V belts.

pdentrem

Active User
I use Fenner Powertwist on my 3hp cabinet table saw, it is a single belt, and at the shop on anything that required hours and days of down time for a simple belt change. No issues at all.

markba633csi

I have heard that with Atlas's zamak pulleys they can cause accelerated wear because of the "hammering" effects of the links. I don't have any direct first-hand experience with this; many folks like them just fine
I believe there are a couple other disadvantages with them but I don't remember at the moment-they are more expensive of course
m

Last edited:

00harleydyna

Swarf
Registered Member
Thanks everyone. I got it all set up in my garage and it turns great compared to what I'm used to. I had an extra oxa qctp from my Chinese lathe and I made a t-nut and spacers with a longer stud. It's working good but I'm still going to order a axa and put a new belt on it. Unfortunately I smashed my only decent dial caliper last night while I was hand filing my t-nut. P.s. the leblonde lathe is still available in Western PA if anyone is looking.

Attachments

00harleydyna

Swarf
Registered Member
Darn good deal I'd say, considering all the measuring tools and so forth. I'm surprised you didn't get a steady rest in the bargain
The Leblond you passed up may have been a better lathe per se, but one needs to look at the total package and intended usage- for hobby use the Atlas/Craftsman lathes are quite adequate and great values-good bang for the buck
m
I think that I overlooked some of the stuff that went with my lathe in the process of getting everything out of the basement because I thought there would have been one too, also only found 2 tool holders for the lantern tool post and both were 1/4". I thought that was kind of odd too because I won't even use 1/4 on my mini.

00harleydyna

Swarf
Registered Member
Now that I'm adequately set up I'm going to start my first project tonight. A bee stinger type bow stabilizer if anyone knows what that is. With some changes to not infringe upon patents and copy rights of course.

[6]
[5] [7]