Atlas lathe need help with basic equiptment function

The pic you posted with the tag on the back of the bed- that is your model #. Look in the Atlas/Craftsman forum here for lots of good info. Around here, like in Utah as ttabbal said, that lathe with the tooling you got would make it worth $1200 to near $2000. Enjoy it! It will teach you many things.

I'm not a big fan of link-belts; they are a quick fix but you might consider pulling the spindle and replacing it with a conventional v-belt sometime in the future..
mark

I'm not a big fan of link-belts; they are a quick fix but you might consider pulling the spindle and replacing it with a conventional v-belt sometime in the future..
mark

Why? I run link belts on my Craftsman 12" lathe and they run much smother and quitter then regular V belts.

I use Fenner Powertwist on my 3hp cabinet table saw, it is a single belt, and at the shop on anything that required hours and days of down time for a simple belt change. No issues at all.

I have heard that with Atlas's zamak pulleys they can cause accelerated wear because of the "hammering" effects of the links. I don't have any direct first-hand experience with this; many folks like them just fine
I believe there are a couple other disadvantages with them but I don't remember at the moment-they are more expensive of course
m

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I got it all set up in my garage and it turns great compared to what I'm used to. I had an extra oxa qctp from my Chinese lathe and I made a t-nut and spacers with a longer stud. It's working good but I'm still going to order a axa and put a new belt on it. Unfortunately I smashed my only decent dial caliper last night while I was hand filing my t-nut. P.s. the leblonde lathe is still available in Western PA if anyone is looking.

15312684090551411183946.jpg

15312684440071114531422.jpg

00D0D_f4rogrSyzJ3_1200x900.jpg

Darn good deal I'd say, considering all the measuring tools and so forth. I'm surprised you didn't get a steady rest in the bargain
The Leblond you passed up may have been a better lathe per se, but one needs to look at the total package and intended usage- for hobby use the Atlas/Craftsman lathes are quite adequate and great values-good bang for the buck
m
I think that I overlooked some of the stuff that went with my lathe in the process of getting everything out of the basement because I thought there would have been one too, also only found 2 tool holders for the lantern tool post and both were 1/4". I thought that was kind of odd too because I won't even use 1/4 on my mini.

Now that I'm adequately set up I'm going to start my first project tonight. A bee stinger type bow stabilizer if anyone knows what that is. With some changes to not infringe upon patents and copy rights of course.

Back