Atlas Lathe Pulley repair

Dana Cutter

Registered
Registered
Hey all,

I have an old Atlas 10F.. It uses the double v pulley part 9-428. It recently ended up spinning on the motor shaft. After realizing that the set screw is broken I had to use a 3 jaw puller and gently as possible removed it from the shaft. It marred the shaft a little but nothing serious.

However my question is that since this is such a recessed hole at an angle it doesnt seem that I have anyway to get a drill bit square against the set screw to try and drill it out.

Thought about purchasing a vice that rotates on an angle as my drill press platform is static and does not tilt..Saw a couple for sale and they were going over 100 bux.

Any ideas on a possible way to repair?

Thanks!
f897dd8a1590ddd74562cb213b9796ff.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Welcome , might try a left handed ccw drill bit it should grab the set screw and back it out.
Your pic is a red x to those not using tapatalk, search how to upload pics using tapatalk on this site.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I have an old Atlas 10F.. It uses the double v pulley part 9-428. It recently ended up spinning on the motor shaft. After realizing that the set screw is broken I had to use a 3 jaw puller and gently as possible removed it from the shaft. It marred the shaft a little but nothing serious.

However my question is that since this is such a recessed hole at an angle it doesnt seem that I have anyway to get a drill bit square against the set screw to try and drill it out.

Thought about purchasing a vice that rotates on an angle as my drill press platform is static and does not tilt..Saw a couple for sale and they were going over 100 bux.

Thanks!

There is enough of the screw sticking out so you might be able to tap it around with a hammer and punch where the angle cut meets the O.D. Maybe even twist it with a Vise-Grip pliers.

Hey all,

Thanks!

After going thru the steps to see your pic , there is enough sticking out to grab ahold of it and unscrew it with pliers or vice grips or knock it around with a punch , as Bob suggests
But search how to post pics using tapatalk
Thanks

I tried pliers and it didn't work...this pic might be hard to see but it kind of fused the set screw to the pulley...I will give them another shot though...keep I dead coming..I let ya know if anything works....I don't have left handed vice bits or any screw extractors at the moment.

2017-09-18 22.38.10.jpg

Hi Dana,
as a suggestion,
try a heat gun on low temp setting and warm the hub up to about 180 degrees or so and shoot some wd40 into the broken screw area
then try to tap the broken part of the screwhead with a punch and hammer counterclockwise.
the percussion may help to loosen the screw.

OR

grind off the nub sticking out from the hub off flat and use a cobalt drill bit or carbide endmill to plunge through the setscrew

I was weary using heat even on low heat being that it is aluminum but I will give a heat gun a try...

Thanks

on second thought,
you may wish to try to turn the broken screw clockwise and go out through the center bore.
what may have happened is that the screw might have deformed threads or have a mushroomed end on the shaft side.
the mushroom or deformed threads will not pass easily through the pulley without damaging the threads.
but even if that happens, you can always drill out the bunged up threads and go to it with a larger size setscrew

Back