Atlas Lathe Pulley repair

WD40 is not a penetrating solution. In the U.K. The best stuff for seized bolts is Plusgas. Available from most motor factors. Soak in that for 24 hours before trying to remove.

Simple paint thinner is extremely thin oil and it will wick in there fine but the threads are mush and all formed together.

No keyway so the set screw is just in a random place so to speak.

Suggested actions are get some paint thinner wicked in and with vice grips try to screw inwards.

If it does not move tap the end of screw with a real heavy hammer but light taps in same axis of screw.

If still no go get a die grinder and carbide burr and remove the high spot inside until it can slide back on the shaft.

Now drill and tap another hole.

You can use an extended length drill and also buy a self tapping screw to tap the hole if you cannot get a tap in there.

Grind off the other screw and call it a day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I've had good success by welding a nut with a mig welder and then dumping it in water to shock it an immediately trying to unscrew it.

Well is it out yet? I'd take a dremel and cut a slot for a screw driver . If you can get it moving I'd turn it in word and thru the body . I'd also run a tap thru the hole before installing it again. Kerosene and 3in 1 oil will penetrate and lube even transmission fluid is good .

I did finally get it out...tried a few of your guys suggestions..finally thought to check if the set screw was steel or not and it was..so I was able to weld a nut to the small remaining piece of set screw and back it out with a 1/2" wrench...thanks for all your suggestions...

1508009392631960116660.jpg

congratulations Dana!
i hope she is either making chips or close to it !

That set screw was larger than I expected just replaced it with a 5/6 course bolt..seems to be doing the trick...no projects at tye moment but its ready to go when I do

Back