atlas lathes gear cutting fixture.....

eric chilton

Registered
Registered
hi my first time posting on this site..... im in the process of making the atlas gear cutting fixture from the prints floating around the internet..........its going pretty good so far ...but i keep looking at the print and im wondering why they chose a boston gear nb72 to have on the indexing end of this fixture ........the fixture has a .500 1/2-13 threaded end on the blank end and a .625 stub with 1/2-13 threaded portion on the indexing end ......is the 72 tooth gear relevant to making more gears with less teeth and smaller diameter ? if anyone knows this info please pass it on to me as there is no instructions with this once i get it done ..........tia.........eric

The plans I have seen used Atlas change gears, maybe different plans? Anyway I suspect 72 was used because it would allow you to cut gears with
2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36 and 72 teeth. The design that I saw was adjustable and could accommodate smaller gears, maybe 72 was the largest gear that would not make the design unwieldy.

This calculator will give you all the factors of a given number which is also all the different number of teeth you can cut with a specific gear:

https://www.mathwarehouse.com/arithmetic/factorization-calculator.php

this is suppose to fit the milling attachment for the lathe ......the whole fixture is only 8 9/32 long ...thanks for the info ! im just now getting into cutting gears /splines ...i have a bridgeport clone and 2 atlas lathes a 6" and a com 12" .....i figured this might come in handy some day ...its better to have a tool and not need it than need it and not have it ...lol thanks for the reply...........eric...

oh i forgot to say i dont have either milling attachments but have started to make my own for the 12" lathe ... i know the atlas is not very ridged in doing this kinda work but i figure lite cuts and it might get me out of a bind one day.................

You can find this on the internet search Popular Mechanics Oct. 1954 page 223 theres a very nice indexer
dgehricke

that is like what im making.......a little longer in the body of it and no collet feature ...but i might have a go at this one later on ..thanks again .......eric

No Problem check for google book downloader then you can download the article and print it.
Regards
dgehricke

ive been saving the issues to my favorites ..but i didnt know you could download them and print them ....thanks again ....looks like i just added more work to my shop lol thanks again

That book downloader is good for Mac not windows but I'm sure there is something in the windows world thats equal.
dgehricke

Back