Atlas M F Horizonatal Mill Rebuild

Fairbanks

Active User
Registered
Greetings All,

Rebuild of my Mill is underway. When it came to me it was basically a mess but came with a nice batch of tooling and the cast legs, which I am told aren't very common. Since it has been painted several times over the years I decided to strip and repaint, I prefer a machine with the original finish and what ever "patina" has developed over the years but this one was to far gone. So here's a few pictures to get started. I'll be adding more as time goes on but due to limited time and the need to track down a few parts as I go I expect it will take a while. Here you go-

The base after strip and repaint-
.2016-06-20 17.10.13.jpg

The first parts to be stripped and painted-
2016-06-20 17.10.59.jpg

Parts waiting in queue for strip and repaint-
2016-06-20 17.11.17.jpg

NICE! And it looks like yours has the guards too. Can't wait to see your next installment. :cool:

Actually that one belt guard you see was an eBay find. I hope to add others as I find them. They look pretty cool!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes, they do make the machine look "finished". My MF didn't / doesn't have any. And for what they cost, it'll stay without any!

Greetings All,

So I was at it again tonight and made a little more progress.

This evenings subject-
A1.jpg

The Name tag-
A2.jpg

The Cover Plate-
A3.jpg

OK so she's an early MF with the 4 pulley system, right? Well, no. Looks like a 3 pulley system-

A4.jpg

So let's get her apart-
A5.jpg

Bare with me I'm a rank amateur-
A6.jpg

That's all (for tonight) folks-
A7.jpg

Any thoughts on what I have here? The pictures show an early 4 spool name tag/cover plate and a 3 spool spindle. Any thoughts on what's original and what's replaced?

Experts please chime in!

Steve

Apparantely in it's lifetime it's been repaired or perhaps parts swapped..
who knows what a previous owner may have done to keep it going.

I would assume that it was originally a 16-speed MF and a PO converted it to a 12-speed. He should have also changed the countershaft bracket and hanger, and the back gear and large and small spindle gears.

A little more progress this evening.

Front spindle bearing on it's way out-
A10.jpg

Timken 07087, at least I think that's an 8-
A11.jpg

Both races are in rough shape, rear worse than the front-
A12.jpg

So here's what has been taken out so far. Need to make a tool to remove the bearing races-
A13.jpg

Time to clean up a bit-
A14.jpg

Next is to strip and repaint the head casting, replacement bearings and assembly.

Thanks for checking in.

Steve

Nice work! And I agree that your legs are rare. I've searched 'Atlas Legs' on Ebay every week for at least three years now. There are always several sets. But unfortunately for me, they are always $350.00 to $550.00 a set plus shipping. I have never seen a set like yours. It is that extra 'Art Deco' like relief detail on the side of each leg. All I have seen are just plain & smooth.
I like yours so much that I would be tempted to pay the Ebay type prices.
Very very cool!

Wow those bearings look dry. Good thing you've pulled 'em for inspection.
And thanks for all the high quality pics too, much appreciated!

You'll have her whipped back into shape in no time!

Back