Atlas M F Horizonatal Mill Rebuild

Steve,

I fixed it by downloading the file, rotating it with software known not to have this problem, and then uploading it again. But that takes a lot of time.

I'm not certain of the details (JPEG versus JPEG2000 maybe??? Or maybe Apple just trying to cause trouble for most of the world???). But the culprit is probably the software on your not-so-smart-phone. Your work-around is to download your photo(s) from your phone to a computer. Open it/them with something like Irfanview and rotate and explicitely save them back to the compute and the first time that you do it, open them again to confirm that they actually got rotated in the JPG file. Then upload from the computer to the site.

A better solution would be to get a decent camera, but of course that costs money. :apologize:

You're probably right on the difficulty of converting it back to the 4-step pulleys. Not much problem to find the 4-step countershaft pulley, as it is the same as the one used on the Atlas 612 and 618, and the Craftsman 101.07301 and 101.21400. But the 4-step spindle pulley "ain't".

Robert, thanks for your help with the picture. I have a couple of nice digital cameras, uploading to the computer is definitely the way to go for manipulating pictures. The phone is handy and takes great pictures but has its limits.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Got a few more items finished up this weekend-

Here's the Light, lot of little parts to refinish (not fun)-
A28.jpg A29.jpg

Base and Head mounted on stand-
A30.jpg A31.jpg A32.jpg

New spindle bearings should be here tomorrow. Time to start cleaning some parts and prepping for the reassembly.

Thanks for stopping by.

Steve

That's a beauty! The MFC languishing in my basement waiting to be activated is sitting on one of the cabinet-style bases, painted a particularly hideous shade of John Deere Trim Yellow. I think the legs on yours add a certain elegance.

Froggie

The light looks like it's in excellent shape. And the legs / top do give the unit a really good look overall.

Congrats, it's coming together!!

Wahoo, my new bearings are here, Plenty of good stuff to work on when the weekend gets here!
A34.jpg

So, while your here, what's this extra hole in this part for? This is an M1-8 Arbor Support, I replaced the 1/4" Allen head cap screw and couldn't think of a good reason for the thru hole right above it, it doesn't show up in the manual I have. Is this typical or something someone drilled in after market for unknown reasons?
A33.jpg

All The Best!

Steve

Hi Steve,
great news, congrats on the bearings, i'm happy for you!!!
the lower hole has 2 zamak plugs machined with a radius on an end.
the 1/4-20 screw ,when tightened, draws the 2 zamak plugs together- affixing the support to the ram solidly.

as for the upper hole, i have no clue as to why someone would desecrate the casting :bawling:

I don't recognize it, either. However, the Zamak plugs (called M6-44 Lock and M6-45 Sleeve) are only used in the M1-60, and the bolt is a square head.. The M1-8 is split from the top (bottom in your photo) through the hole that the M1-9 Support Arm slides through. And the 1/4-20 Socket Head Cap Screw tightens the split around the Support Arm.

I haven't a clue!?!?

I guess you'll need to package it all up and send it to me for safe keeping.... :dancing banana:

Back