Atlas M6-25M and M6-735 cleaned and uploaded.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Group,

I finally took the time to finish cleaning up the bracket drawing and uploaded it and the instructions to Downloads. M6-25M adds an additional Position "D" to the Banjo and makes it possible to cut 0.5 mm, 1.75 mm and 2.0 mm pitch threads. M6-735 is apparently the complete kit, which includes the bracket and the additional bolts, nuts, bushings and sleeves required.

The bracket drawing is in Downloads under its part number in the Drawings folder under Atlas. The instruction sheet is under Accessories.

Could this be used to slow the feed rate to something less than .0024"/rev? This is done on the 12" lathes
by adding a 20T/40T set but there isn't room on the 618 banjo for the extra position.

BTW, the title should read "M6-735" ...

First, thanks for pointing out the typo, which has been corrected to M6-735. And FWIW, M6-735-1 seems to be the part number for the physical instruction sheet itself.

As for your question on another possible use for the extension , if it works I don't see why you couldn't use it for another purpose.

I obtained a copy from Clausing (super nice people); in looking over it, one of the detail parts requires a knurl on a 60 deg chamfer.
I've never seen that done, what is the technique? Of course, it isn't critical for the operation, just a bit of a curiosity ... and a learning
opportunity!

FWIW,both documents were obtained from Clausing, cleaned up and uploaded to this site back in late 2020.

But what part are you referring to that has a knurl on it? The M6-25M is all mill work.

My apologies, I was looking at BP-102 and put my query in the wrong thread. Still a good question ...

What is "BP-102"? What thread were you looking at? I have never seen a knurling tool that ran on a lathe that didn't require the part to be cylindrical If I were Rube Goldburg I might be able to make one.

BP-102 is the referenced in some of the Atlas catalogs and is the drawing for a Gear Cutting Attachment. I obtained my copy
from Clausing just a few days ago. The knurl is for the grip of an indexing pin; the surface flares out at 30 deg from the centerline,
forming a conical feature like a countersunk fastener head 3/4" in diameter. I would probably make it with the knurl on a concentric
feature but was curious how someone would go about doing it per drawing.

Here is a reference from this forum ...

OK. I have the same drawing. The small (right) end if the index pin is not drawn correctly but it is not knurled. It is chamfered and then threaded #8-32 UNC. If it were drawn correctly (IAW whatever drafting rules Atlas had at the time), the small end would look like a smaller version of the small end of the Guide Lock.

Back