Atlas MF Horizontal Mill.......what should I do?

1" cutters are kind of hard to find at present. They are available on eBay, but some are very expensive. Haven't seen one 7/8" cutter in the last week or two, although haven't been looking for that size.

Glenn

You can also find two or three commercial designs of vertical heads that fit the Atlas. However, none to my knowledge have a quill. So they are not great for drilling holes.

francist, It's still sitting on the shelf because I need to make or find the overarm support piece. I'm calling it the overarm support, probably not the right name but too lazy to look it up. :p:D
I need this thing(not my mill, just an image from the internet):
1.jpg

wa5cab, mine actually came with one of those vertical heads but it was driven by a second motor. Unlike the design that makes the belt turn 90° to be driven by the spindle this made it too fast and by the time I put an end mill holder in the vertical head you REALLY lost alot of day light. And the real kicker to mine was that some of the brackets were welded to the machine, a real shame. The loss of daylight was what prompted me to keep my Jefferson mill and add a 4" extension to it.

Part 2 of that is coming out this Saturday for those interested.

Olddaddy, did you buy it? Kind of excited to find out.:D

francist, It's still sitting on the shelf because I need to make or find the overarm support piece. I'm calling it the overarm support, probably not the right name but too lazy to look it up. :p:D
I need this thing(not my mill, just an image from the internet):
View attachment 242933

That's the arbor support. The overarm support would be the bar that came on the C models.

Right. It is used on the base through B-models, part number M1-8. If you haven't already, go to DOWNLOADS, drill down to the Atlas mill manuals, and download MMB-5. Note that parts on the illustrated parts list pages that are circled were only used on the M*C models. However, M1-60 with the bushings and clamps in it is actually backwards compatible. You just can't use the front support bar without also changing several other parts on the table in-feed. .

TD, what is the serial number on your mill?

On the vertical head subject, if you use a vertical head with a 2MT (or 3MT or R8) spindle, you minimize the loss of head room if you use 2MT collets instead of milling cutter holders.

Thanks guys. The cross section of a 1" vs 7/8" would definitely say it would be more rigid. I was just wondering if that held true in actual use with a noticeably more rigid setup. I'll not sweat searching for a larger arbor at this point, but may just keep half an eye open in case one pops up somewhere.

-frank

Back