Atlas MF mill cleanup

Dgleavitt

Registered
Registered
Hi,
My name is Andrew, this is my first post here. Sorry if it is in the wrong forum, since it won’t involve scraping. I was just gifted an Atlas MF Mill, which I gladly accepted despite its limitations and a few needed parts(expensive but available). However there are some cosmetic issues with the mill, there is some rust on the table and on the casting. I was wondering what would be the best method to take off this rust. Would you approach the rust on the table and ways any different then you would approach the rust on the casting?

And, after I’m done removing the rust from the casting, I would like to paint it. What kind of paint would you use on a machine, an Epoxy paint or enamel or something else? What is your preferred finish I always like the hammered look.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:
Electrolysis for the rust. Rustoleum Smoke Gray oil based enamel, brush or spray (my favorite.)

Welcome to Hobby Machinist!

If you're not into electrolysis like me, Evaporust works too. Or good old elbow grease and extra fine 320 grit emery cloth on finished metal surfaces and or 80 grit on cast surfaces, and steel wool and a little mineral spirits works too. Rustoleum Smoke Gray is my choice of color too.

Hi Dg , for the rust I would ask how deep is it ? If deep I would go with Evaporust or electrolysis , otherwise I would go with a Scotch-Bright pad and some WD-40 . Also Rustoleum has a dark sliver hammer tone . How about some pictures ? Welcome aboard . Also HM has a forum for us Atlas/Craftsman people .
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/atlas-craftsman-aa.86/

Last edited:
Evapo-rust is a good option, but might be expensive for enough to submerge the main casting. I have no personal experience with electrolysis, but it would certainly work and would be cheaper, though you would have to build the setup to do it. Do not use Evapo-rust without having the entire part submerged or it will leave an ugly line on the metal at the liquid to air interface.

I usually apply a first coat to the bare metal casting on old machine tools with Ospho - diluted phosphoric acid. This acts as a barrier coat/primer to inhibit oxidation. Then sometimes apply a one part marine epoxy primer from Interlux. Very durable stuff. Then your paint of choice.

I had the local rustoleum paint guy at the hardware store mix up a medium dark, not to dark, blue-gray tone paint that I like a lot. Really, any color will do - whatever you like looking at the best!

Glenn

I've posted this elsewhere on this forum but ...

"Rust Release SuperGel" is just like Evapo-rust (better if you believe the ad) except it is a thick gel and can be used on vertical surfaces. No need to submerge large parts.

I've used it and will attest that it works as advertised. It stays on the vertical sides and doesn't slide off. However, DO NOT let it dry out. It will leave weird stains. So plan on spending an hour or so babysitting your part to keep brushing places that start to dry out.

I ordered mine from https://www.theruststore.com/ , but it is available other places as well.

I've posted this elsewhere on this forum but ...

"Rust Release SuperGel" is just like Evapo-rust (better if you believe the ad) except it is a thick gel and can be used on vertical surfaces. No need to submerge large parts.

I've used it and will attest that it works as advertised. It stays on the vertical sides and doesn't slide off. However, DO NOT let it dry out. It will leave weird stains. So plan on spending an hour or so babysitting your part to keep brushing places that start to dry out.

I ordered mine from https://www.theruststore.com/ , but it is available other places as well.
I did not know about that product. Manufacturer says "no acids". Interesting...

I have a 5 gallon pail setup for electrolysis. I like to use it because I just put the part in turn the battery charger on and let it do it's job. Come back later and rust is all gone. Quick rinse and brushing and it's ready to dry and oil up or paint.

Thanks for all the replies! I’d like to try electrolysis but I don’t know where to get the chemicals needed.

Back