Atlas Mf Rebuild Help

Rodney Young

Registered
Registered
Any one have a drawing or the measurements for the back gear shaft? Also need to know if the shaft is drilled at the same angle/ orientation on each end or are the offset holes drilled at different angles or not in line with each other at each end?
As I am reassembling my Atlas MF mill I am finding a "few" issues where some enterprising individual has (repaired???) various items on the mill. the current issue is the back gear pivot shaft, it appears to be too short, the hole for the pin to attach/align it with the selector knob has been drilled twice, wrong both times as, if I assemble it as it was the gears will not mesh equally on the main shaft and the back gears. I will have to fill in the holes in the back gear lever and redrill as they too have been messed with considerably, will try JB weld as the part that was drilled appears to be ZAMAK?
It is obvious that this is not the original shaft as you can see the lathe tool marks along the entire length of the shaft and it was left rough even where the bushings run. Will need bushings also but should be able to turn those on my lathe. The shaft used will cost me about $100.00 CAD by the time I get it shipped so want to try and make my own!
Will be adding pictures soon. Thanks.
Rodney

IMG_20160525_090326.jpg IMG_20160525_090222.jpg IMG_20160525_090257.jpg

Last edited:
I regret I have no drawing or dimensions at this time, but there is one available on Ebay, item # 371630138349

Spiral_Chips

Thanks guys,
What I am looking for is the specs on the shaft itself, mine is not the original and doesnt fit properly so I want to make a new one that is correct.
Rodney

Rodney,

I don't think that anyone yet has the factory drawing on the back gear shaft. What I would suggest is that Tuesday you call Clausing 800-323-0972. Ask for Lauran Brazier. Since Jolene retired, she seems to be the best one to speak to. The back gear shaft part number is M1-250 if you have an MFB or MFC or M1-250 if you have an MFA or MF. Ask her whether they have one or not, and if so, how much? If she says "yes" and quotes you a price, it's of course up to you whether or not you buy it. It probably won't be cheap, because prices are today's prices, not those from the 1940's. But if they still have any in stock, they won't send out drawings. If she says "no", ask her whether she can email you the drawing. Go ahead and ask for both. If they still have them, choices will usually be as a TIF or as a PDF. If you don't mention TIF, I think they will just send a PDF. I always get TIF's because I can edit and clean them up (they are usually pretty bad, with a lot of background trash. The originals that they scanned a few years ago are many years old). If she sends you the drawings, please either send to me direct or upload to Downloads in the Atlas Drawings folder under the Atlas, Craftsman & AA folder.

I would also recommend while you have the back gears out of the machine that you replace the two M6-249 Bushings. She probably has those. And if you factor in what it will cost you in time and fuel to identify, find and go get them locally, probably won't cost you any more overall. And it's a good thing to try to keep Clausing well disposed toward us hobbyists.

While I'm writing, I note that in all of the Atlas Mill parts manuals dating back to 1942, none show the pin that attaches the M1-251(*) to the shaft. We need to ID that and get it onto the parts manuals. Was the one you removed from yours solid, tapered groove, or roll? The parts list calls for a 1/8" x 5/8" groove pin on the other end. They could be the same except that the right eccentric is much larger than the left.

Rodney,

I don't think that anyone yet has the factory drawing on the back gear shaft. What I would suggest is that Tuesday you call Clausing 800-323-0972. Ask for Lauran Brazier. Since Jolene retired, she seems to be the best one to speak to. The back gear shaft part number is M1-250 if you have an MFB or MFC or M1-250 if you have an MFA or MF. Ask her whether they have one or not, and if so, how much? If she says "yes" and quotes you a price, it's of course up to you whether or not you buy it. It probably won't be cheap, because prices are today's prices, not those from the 1940's. But if they still have any in stock, they won't send out drawings. If she says "no", ask her whether she can email you the drawing. Go ahead and ask for both. If they still have them, choices will usually be as a TIF or as a PDF. If you don't mention TIF, I think they will just send a PDF. I always get TIF's because I can edit and clean them up (they are usually pretty bad, with a lot of background trash. The originals that they scanned a few years ago are many years old). If she sends you the drawings, please either send to me direct or upload to Downloads in the Atlas Drawings folder under the Atlas, Craftsman & AA folder.

I would also recommend while you have the back gears out of the machine that you replace the two M6-249 Bushings. She probably has those. And if you factor in what it will cost you in time and fuel to identify, find and go get them locally, probably won't cost you any more overall. And it's a good thing to try to keep Clausing well disposed toward us hobbyists.

While I'm writing, I note that in all of the Atlas Mill parts manuals dating back to 1942, none show the pin that attaches the M1-251(*) to the shaft. We need to ID that and get it onto the parts manuals. Was the one you removed from yours solid, tapered groove, or roll? The parts list calls for a 1/8" x 5/8" groove pin on the other end. They could be the same except that the right eccentric is much larger than the left.

Thanks Robert,
I'll give them a call, thanks for the name, that should make it a little easier! I can't comment on the pin as that is also one of the......non standard parts, I knew I had an issue when I went to remove the back gear assembly and saw the "curved pin" sticking out that held the assemby to the shaft! Will post a picture for comic relief. I think they tried to correct the fact that the shaft was drilled wrong by bending the pin and drilling the pivot assembly to align the back gears.
IMG_20160529_175743.jpg
No it didn't bend coming out... thats the way it was jambed in with part of it sticking out and almost hitting the housing when the selector was turned to engage/disengage the back gears.

Rodney

Rodney, any info to update?
Were you able to contact Clausing?

Rodney, any info to update?
Were you able to contact Clausing?
Hi Robert,
Found one on Ebay so never called them. When the part comes in I will take some pictures and include what measurements I can.
Rodney

Thanks for the update Rodney.

I'll try to be patient waiting for the pics..... rofl... B-)

Back