Atlas MF restoration

mole1119

Registered
Registered
Hello, first time posting. I picked up my first mill yesterday for something to learn both machine restoration / and practice milling at home.
Model# MF Serial# 005269
Buyer stated it has not been run in 38 years.
Looks to be covered in grease so it will be interesting to see what condition the paint is in.
Came with a bunch of tooling, so time to see what all is here and organize it.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the machine, you have some very desirable accessories with it as well by the looks of it! I also have an early MF -- serial 00976 -- still going strong.

Good luck with your project, looking forward to seeing your progress.

-frank

That cutter might be a bit much for that machine, looks like it needs several horsepower.

Awesome little machine, in any case.

I will definitely start with something much smaller. I am trying to layout everything that came with it and identify any specific parts to the machine itself so they don't get lost.

Love the Mill. The cabinet is something interesting too. I just got one recently and it's history was brought to my attention on another forum. It's from WWII... Cabinet, Tools, and Small Parts FSN 41-C-15. They were bolted to the beds of trucks, part of a mobile repair and machine shop.
17db607f09f6c8c01711713aacdb3405.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Mole1119,

Welcome to H-M. With the given serial number, your machine should be an MFA. The M1, MF and MH all had 4-step cone pulleys on the spindle and countershaft. With the back gears, they were 16-speed machines. The motor pulley and the two countershaft pulleys are the same as those used on the Atlas 618 lathe. At serial number 001345, the cone pulleys changed to 3-step and the machines became 12-speed. At serial number 005466, they were changed again to 2-step and the machines became M1B, MFB and MHB with 8-speeds. Apparently they didn't change the nameplates until the B-models came out.

The Williams boring bar holder and boring bars in your fourth photo go to a lathe, not a mill. One of the two arbors in your third photo should fit your mill. I think the larger one. The other one is either too small or too large. The rest of your photos show mostly a mix of hand tools and cutters, and end mills. I see one face mill cutter and some Woodruff key seat cutters in the fourth photo but I don't see any typical horizontal mill cutters or slitting sawl in any of the photos. These would fit onto the arbor and come in various diameters and lengths and have a hole through the center with a keyway. The ID would be either 7/8" or 1" depending upon which arbor that is.

Thank you all for the information.
I thought the cabinet was pretty cool as well. It is built like a tank and has some nice gussets on the base that leveling feet could be mounted to if needed.

I still have a another box of cutters to go through. I'll continue to post up pics of everything.

The top cutter guard "M1-22" is a bit rare as is the coolant tank.

Welcome to the site. Looks like a great score for you. You'll find a host of material and help in here. Been awhile since I've seen another mill thread "pop up", so looking forward to your thread evolution.

Back