Atlas MFA Spindle pulley

I would love to make it out of 7075 but that is very rare at my remnant outlets. To buy it new is $700 per foot in the 3” diameter that is needed. Way out of my budget. At this point I have almost finished making it out of 6061 and will “just see what happens” when I try using it. I haven’t tried to price cast iron, anyone know where to get bar stock?

Here you go:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1144-Steel-Bar-Rod-3-750-3-3-4-Dia-x-2-50-2-1-2-Length/283049600849?hash=item41e7122751:g:LGQAAOSwlv9aZQRu&_sacat=0&_nkw=1144+round+bar&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

1144 is stronger than 1018 and is nicer to machine.

Last edited:
The problem with aluminum as compared to Zamak, cast iron and steel it that at least many alloys tend to cold flow under impact loading.. Which will happen with interrupted cuts. This characteristic will first manifest itself in the direct drive pin hole, as it elongates. The second point where this may happen will be at the pulley-small spindle back gear interface.

Edit - I should add, however, that I have no experience with 7075

I am not familiar with 1144. I am guessing it is Steel and not Cast Iron?
Thank you for the link, sorry to say that piece is just a about .25 to .375 too short.

Thanks again!
York

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's steel.

Look around, the same vendor offers offcuts in other lengths. Or, you might find
something else suitable.

Back