Atlas MFC gummed up in back gear ok when not in back gear

Airpirate

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I used my atlas mfc last evening in the back gear mode for a couple hours of work. Today it seems guumed up, will operate freely out of back gear but very tight in back gear. I applied a liitle oil to the M1-89 spacer area while I was using it last night and wondered if I may have gummed up the M1-259 bushing. If so may a little brake clean take care of it?

I had a similar thing happen. In my case, one of the Oilite bushing within the pulley on the spindle seized to the spindle. I had to remove the spindle and replace the bushing.

I suspected the same. Back in school in the Army they told us to never oil and oilite bushing or they might seize. I washed it with WD40 and it broke lose. Gues I dodged a bullet for now.

Interesting! Doesn't the manufacturer supply an oil port to add oil to this bushing? This would seem contradictory. Doesn't it?

Putting oil on the outside of the M1-89 Spacer did not hurt anything. It also didn't much help anything. The two most under-oiled lube points on an Atlas lathe or an Atlas mill are the back gear shaft, and even worse, the two or three bushings in the cone pulley and small spindle gear. The back gear spindle bushings on the mill are oiled through the hole that the M1-16 Oil Screw sits in. Remove the screw, squirt oil into the hole, install the screw, spin the back gears several times, repeat once. One would think that one would be obvious. The cone pulley and small gear bushings on the mill are oiled through the #8-32 Allen set screw in the bottom of the larger groove in the cone pulley. If you are running the belt in the large groove, you will hae to move the belt over to the smaller groove. Remove the screw, make several squirts with the oil can into the hole, reinstall the set screw, and spin the pulley. This should be done either every 30 days or every time that you use back gears, whichever comes first. If you are doing an ever 30 day oiling, repeat twice. If you are using back gear every day, repeat once.

The belief that sintered bronze (Oilite) bushings never need oil is false. The sintered bronze bushings do store the oil, but they need periodic flushing and replenishment. Both of which periodic oiling provides.

Back