Atlas MFC horizontal mill casting

ThinWoodsman

Brass
Former Member
So, I ended up with a second Atlas MFC when buying parts for the first. I needed a few things, and a local buyer-and-seller-of-machines had quite a few dead ones lying about and said you know what, just take a whole one for that price, save us some disasembly time.

I don't know if the motor works. Almost all of the niceties like handles are gone, the changeomatic and the feed mechanism as well. I am taking the countershaft bracket. But the base casting, column, head, knee, saddle, and table are all there.

Currently I am disassembling it just to make moving it around manageable. If anyone is interested in building a machine off this (and if you are, I can introduce you to a guy with a lot of parts), it's yours for the asking. I do not ship, so local pick-up or the ol' park-and-ride meetup only.

Disassembled into knee (+ carriage, table), base (+ column, head). and motor. Needs a serious clean but seems in good shapee. Have not checked motor or spindle.

Taking a look at it, I'm considering making a benchtop surface grinder out of it. Gotta read up on the specs for a grinder to see if the spindle and motor can handle it. Failing that, maybe put a cup grinding wheel on the spindle and use it as an over-engineered tool & cutter grinder.

Just what I need, one more project to add to the collection. Original MFC needs to be brought up to operational capacity, and that benchtop bandsaw ain't gonna build itself. Even if I put an arduino and some CNC software next to it :D

The surface grinder sounds like a neat idea. Not sure if the bearings would be up to that task.. but maybe if the wheel wasn't to large.

With a small wheel on the original head and power feeds you could grind stuff square on 4 sides in the same setup. That would be useful.

Well, the table feed mechanism is gone, so I'd need to rebuild that. The spindle probably wouldn't go up to 3600 RPM, though I could risk it by changing the pulleys. Probably have to bump up to at least a 1/2 HP motor as well.

Still, this is a sturdy base with an X-Y table and a knee. Maybe to start, I'll fab a mount for a die grinder, see how that plays out.

This is giving me some ideas. I could run a flexshaft through the spindle and hold it in a collet or toolholder, with a spindle brake in place. Mount the actual dremel in the back where the gearbox used to be. That would get me up and running superfast, and I could look into using the actual spindle with a cup wheel like a tool & cutter grinder.

Could do the same with a pencil die grinder, though that means running air to the bench where I plan to house the thing.

The surface grinder idea looks to be problematic due to the difficulty of not burning the part when using a manual machine table.

Back