• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Atlas mill home at last

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

robert1352

Active User
Hi everyone the other day I finally got my little atlas horizontal mill home, I found on this little gem on craigslist for 200$.I want to disassembly my mill and give it a through cleaning but I have never taken something like this apart before. What sort of tools would be required to take it apart with out damaging it? Thanks everyone, Robert.

Uncle Buck

Banned
Banned
Basically ordinary hand tools is all recall using when I tore mine down. Congratulations and enjoy it.

I sent you a PM requesting your email address so I can send you the original manual for your machine.

Last edited:

robert1352

Active User
So today I started to take a long hard look at the mill, everything seems to ok with the exception one area. When I try to raise or lower the knee the handle dosent want to turn. I wont find out for sure what the problem is til I start taking it apart,any ideas as to what the problem is?

Uncle Buck

Banned
Banned
I would not worry about it for now, the problem will reveal itself once you get it home and dismantle it enough to get to the root of the problem.

So whats the story, do you want me to email you the manual for that machine or not? If you do give me an email address to send it. :whistle:

robert1352

Active User
Thanks for the offer but I forgot to mention I have a manual for the mill that I got from the seller, but thank you for your kind offer. I will start taking it apart later today and will try to post pictures as work progresses.

Uncle Buck

Banned
Banned
Thanks for the offer but I forgot to mention I have a manual for the mill that I got from the seller, but thank you for your kind offer. I will start taking it apart later today and will try to post pictures as work progresses.
Good deal, so long as you have a copy of the manual. I found it a great asset in the restoration of my machine as you will too I am sure.

robert1352

Active User
Ok so here are the first pictures.Keep in mind that a lot of the brown on the mill is not rust but is in fact sawdust mixed with oil.The person who sold me the mill had used it for wood working.

pic 020.JPG pic 021.JPG

robert1352

Active User
Alright I got started taking it apart this morning, I got the motor off as well as the table, haven’t found any problems so far.I'm going to need a lot of degreaser!!

pics 020.JPG pics 021.JPG

robert1352

Active User
So now I have removed the back gear cover and the table feed mechanism. The gears seem in good shape, no broken teeth. I still haven’t gotten into the knee yet so I still haven’t resolved that problem. I did find one hex nut with the head sheared off; I will have to fix that later. See pics below.

atlasMill 001.JPG atlasMill 002.JPG atlasMill 003.JPG

Smudgemo

Active User
Cool! I love this sort of stuff. If you haven't tried it yet, I had really good results removing rust with Evapo-rust. Should be perfect for the little bit your machine has.
-Ryan

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Nine,

It's a horizontal mill. Horizontal and vertical mills in the same size class can each do or do easily about 95% of what the other can do.

Robert D.

robert1352

Active User
Here are some views of the back cover of the mill with the gears. Also notice in the side view of the cover the "atlas change o matic" name plate is missing,not sure what to do about that.

atlasMill2 002.JPG atlasMill2 003.JPG atlasMill2 004.JPG atlasMill2 005.JPG

cbtrek

Active User
Keep the photos coming!

I also enjoy cleaning up old equipment, the reward is putting it back together and having a new old machine again.

robert1352

Active User
Disassembley is going a little slow. I managed to get the gear plate off but still having problems with the knee,will try to post more pictures tomorrow.

robert1352

Active User
Did we loose a few pictures and post? Well anyway here is a picture of the mysterious item from the other day,it turns out it was a coolent pump. The pump does not look like it is in very good shape,and the way it was installed (duc taped wires!) leads me to belive that it was an aftermarket deal.Trying to get the support arm to slide out but there is some rust so it is fighting me,put some oil around it and will let that soak in before I try again.

atlasMill4 002.JPG

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Robert,

Yes. Most of yesterday was lost. The site went down and had to be restored from the most recent backup.

Robert D.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Banned
Banned
Did we loose a few pictures and post? Well anyway here is a picture of the mysterious item from the other day,it turns out it was a coolent pump. The pump does not look like it is in very good shape,and the way it was installed (duc taped wires!) leads me to belive that it was an aftermarket deal.Trying to get the support arm to slide out but there is some rust so it is fighting me,put some oil around it and will let that soak in before I try again.

This pump was like as not an original Atlas accessory. Atlas offered a pump, coolant tank and spray spiggot and a coolant holding tank that was a steel box that sat under the machine with hoses leading from the box to the pump. It would either be an original Atlas, or an aftermarket for that time but Atlas did offer pumps that looked just as this one does I can verify that for you. I would not toss that pump.

The pump and coolant setup was an accessory to the machine too.

HalcyonDaze

Steel
Registered Member
Trying to get the support arm to slide out but there is some rust so it is fighting me,put some oil around it and will let that soak in before I try again.
Mine was the same way. Try loosening the lock screws up on top a turn or two, then tap them with a rubber mallet. If they're stuck to the support arm this might break the bond. Leave the arbor support on the end of the arm and use it for a grip to twist the arm while you pull it out. Use plenty of penetrating oil. It can be a workout.

robert1352

Active User
Good idea HalcyonDaze,I will give your method a try and post pictures later. I didnt see anything like a coolent tank in the mill,I guess they just filled up the base with coolent and didnt really have a tank. Well I'm not going to try to fix the pump,it dosent seem salvageable.

Uncle Buck

Banned
Banned
Good idea HalcyonDaze,I will give your method a try and post pictures later. I didnt see anything like a coolent tank in the mill,I guess they just filled up the base with coolent and didnt really have a tank. Well I'm not going to try to fix the pump,it dosent seem salvageable.

I have one of the original Atlas sales/product books from somewhere in the 40's or so. Early enough that the milling machines they were selling then did not have the outboard arbor support but instead still offered the cast iron overarm cover which actually was much more pleasing to the eye but not nearly as benefitial to use of the machine as the outboard arbor support bar. Anyway, in that old book it showed an accessory add on that included the pump that looked as yours does, the coolant tank attached at the top of the machine, and I thought that the steel box with coolant hoses was supposed to set below the machine and work with the pump to provide the coolant flow. However, it has been a good year or more since I looked at that book and I would say that if the main body of the machine did not have holes in it's side where the hoses would have been fitted to work with the pump I would be wrong and the fluid simply sat in the main body of the machine with the pump.

I would have already looked at the book but I loaned it to a fellow a year or so back that has been attempting to rebuild one of these old mills so I am just working off of my memory of what the pictures in the book showed. I do know that steel tank and hoses was also intended to be used with both the drill presses and lathes as well so my recollection of it's application to the mill might be foggy. The best proof would be holes in the side of the body casting of the machine which would indicate one was originally used with the mill.

If you are not going to try to resurrect your pump I might be interested in buying that one from you and seeing if I could resurrect it myself. If interested in selling it PM me please.

arcotramathorn

Iron
Registered Member
That is a good looking Atlas and especially for the price. There is a guy around here trying to sell one on Craigslist for 500 but it is missing the entire motor and jack shaft assembly and the table feed gear box. Enjoy your new project, you got a good one!

Uncle Buck

Banned
Banned
That is a good looking Atlas and especially for the price. There is a guy around here trying to sell one on Craigslist for 500 but it is missing the entire motor and jack shaft assembly and the table feed gear box. Enjoy your new project, you got a good one!

I just looked at it. Way out of line as you know, too much missing. That is a $200 machine tops, or better he should just part it out.

robert1352

Active User
So for today I managed to get the support arm off with a little oil and some twisting,see pics below.insurgent U I will pm you about the coolent pump later tonight,got to get cleaned up.

atlasMill5 001 (1).JPG atlasMill5 001.JPG atlasMill5 004.JPG

robert1352

Active User
So now we have lost even more post! Well anyway last night I tried to get the arbor free but it doesn’t want to budge, so I oiled everything and let it soak in over night. Hopefully that will loosen something up. I dont know if I should post any more picture because we keep losing them. The knee is still an issue.

Uncle Buck

Banned
Banned
Since posts keep getting lost I will make this far shorter than I originally did. If I can get it worked out would you be interested in duplicates of my belt and pulley guards cast out of aluminum at a local foundry? My biggest issue is getting them dropped off and picked up during their working hours since I work out of town and cannot get there during regular working hours.

robert1352

Active User
Since posts keep getting lost I will make this far shorter than I originally did. If I can get it worked out would you be interested in duplicates of my belt and pulley guards cast out of aluminum at a local foundry? My biggest issue is getting them dropped off and picked up during their working hours since I work out of town and cannot get there during regular working hours.

Are you talking about the guards for this atlas milling machine? Yes I would be intrested,Please send me pictures!!! ALso i will try to repost the lost picutes and submit a new update tonight as I almost have the knee off finally!

[6]
[5] [7]