Atlas mill home at last

You know after I got the knee off last night I took a look in it and as far as I can tell the gears look to be in good shape so untill I have it completely taking apart I still cant tell what was wrong with the knee. I have noticed that I am missing two of the sheet metal chip guards.

If you can easily remount the spindle and arbor back to the machine I still believe that would be the best path to take. Maybe you just didn't give the drawbar a hard enough blow? You are loosening the drawbar from the arbor and unscrewing it a couple of turns before hitting it aren't you? :thinking:

Some pictures of how the knee dissambley is going, its almost completely apart now and I never found out what was wrong with it.
I am going to let the arbor sit a while longer, its still not budging.

atlasMill7 003.JPG atlasMill7 004.JPG atlasMill7 005.JPG atlasMill7 007.JPG

I was thinking if I cant get that arbor off by tapping it out I was thining that I might just take off the whole head and soaking it in motor oil just to losen everything up. Does that sound like a good idea or not?

I was thinking if I cant get that arbor off by tapping it out I was thining that I might just take off the whole head and soaking it in motor oil just to losen everything up. Does that sound like a good idea or not?

If you are going to soak it, use transmission fluid instead.

Since the mill is small enough, I would set it horizontal so that the arbor is vertical with the drawbar hole facing up. Mix up a batch of 50/50 acetone and ATF then flood the spindle with the mix so it can penetrate in the taper. If that doesn't work and you are in my position, take the whole spindle and arbor out and press the arbor out with a shop press.

I had the same problem with a MUCH larger mill (K&T 2BS)....the taper was a BS11 so it had a lot of contact with the spindle taper. I tried everything but what finally did it was Kroil sprayed into the front and back of the arbor. Heat very gently with a propane torch...then repeat. Do that a few times and you might have some success...be careful not to damage anything with heat/force.

I have had the same issue from time to time with the Morse Taper #2 sticking very well in the spindle.

Measure the spindle I.D. and cut off a piece of barstock with a diameter that will just slip inside.
The overall length should just stick out by 1/2 inch or so. Face the end that will contact toe arbor.

Setup the over arm support just starting on the arbor to be a "Catchers Mitt".

I don't like doing this because its hard on the bearings. Use a hammer with a 4 + Lb. head and hit the rod a firm blow. The arbor will come out.

When reinstalling the arbor in the future wipe oil on to the taper inside and out. This will help prevent the SUPER STICKING.

For future reference if more than a tap on the draw bar dosn't free the arbor use the knock out rod.
Draw bar threads are easily damaged.

Good luck. These are nice machines and work well.

Ok so no new pictures today I used some transsmission fluid and im letting it soak in. will let you know.

Back