Atlas mill home at last

Thanks Uncle buck I think im going to give your idea a try. By the way I think that coolent pump made it to its destination today.

Yes it did arrive. A short was found and the bad wires were replaced. My pardner also greased the bearings then cleaned it up like new and gave it a fresh coat of black paint. He did say something about the innerds looking really old though and made no guarantee how long it might work until further deterioration finally takes the old girl out. I am not looking forward to dismantling half of my mill to install it though I will admit!

Here was what Ray did with it Robert.

[quote author=goodfellow link=action=profile;u=5 date=1364507413]

PICT0393Medium.jpg
PICT0394Medium.jpg
PICT0395Medium.jpg
PICT0396Medium.jpg
PICT0398Medium.jpg
PICT0399Medium.jpg
PICT0401Medium.jpg
PICT0404Medium.jpg
All cleaned up and ready for assembly and final testing
PICT0405Medium.jpg
[/quote]

- - - Updated - - -

You are right Uncle buck I think I can rent one from autozone. Can anyone suggest a good degresaser,I have been using purple power with pretty good results, just wondering if there is something better.I will try to get some more picuters up this weekend Thanks Robert.

Maybe Simple Green? Or possibly kerosene?

PICT0393Medium.jpg

PICT0394Medium.jpg

PICT0395Medium.jpg

PICT0396Medium.jpg

PICT0398Medium.jpg

PICT0399Medium.jpg

PICT0401Medium.jpg

PICT0404Medium.jpg

PICT0405Medium.jpg

PICT0393Medium.jpg

PICT0394Medium.jpg

PICT0395Medium.jpg

PICT0396Medium.jpg

PICT0398Medium.jpg

PICT0399Medium.jpg

PICT0401Medium.jpg

PICT0404Medium.jpg

PICT0405Medium.jpg

Last edited:
Ray is an incredibly gifted and talented guy. He posts a number of threads and topics on my site about various projects (a wide range) that he works on many of which are electrical testing equipment and the like so I was sure that unless this thing was absolutely dead Ray would be able to bring it back to life. I was surprised he did all that the same day he got it. Sort of makes me feel like a butt dragger compared to him! Had it been me I likely would have tossed it on the bench and waited till the weekend to mess with it.

So have you gotten the bearing splitter yet?

Not yet ,I will have time this weekend to make another attempt at getting the arbor off. After seeing how much your friend got done in one afternoon',I also feel like I need to get a move on with this project LOL. One thing I have noticed about my mill is that for some reason parts of it were painted orange. I dont think you can tell in any of the pictures I have posted so far but trust me,under all the grease and grime on the knee its orange! What color are they supose to be by the way?

I think Atlas used several shades of gray through the years but I could be wrong on that. I am not so sure at some point some almost military shades of green might have been used as well. The machine was also sold through Sears at some point as well and I suspect at least some of those might have been like a navy blue color because some of the Atlas lathes sold through Sears were blue during a time at least I think during perhaps the 1940's. If I saw something like orange I would suspect the machine came out of either a school, or possibly a state institution such as a prison or highway department because I bought an old Atlas shaper with a lot of nasty orange on it through the state surplus some years back. Many times I have seen that nasty orange when touring government and institutional settings. That explains my thoughts on this.

Well everything I have tried so far has yielded no results. Discouraged is the word of the day. I’m starting to wonder if the stupid thing isn’t wielded on there.

Well everything I have tried so far has yielded no results. Discouraged is the word of the day. I’m starting to wonder if the stupid thing isn’t wielded on there.

You tried a bearing splitter and still no luck? Heat might be all you have left.........

Any one have a PARTS Machine? I am missing the original pulleys from Motor to Jack Shaft & Belt guard? .....

Back