Atlas mill home at last

Trying to get the support arm to slide out but there is some rust so it is fighting me,put some oil around it and will let that soak in before I try again.

Mine was the same way. Try loosening the lock screws up on top a turn or two, then tap them with a rubber mallet. If they're stuck to the support arm this might break the bond. Leave the arbor support on the end of the arm and use it for a grip to twist the arm while you pull it out. Use plenty of penetrating oil. It can be a workout.

Good idea HalcyonDaze,I will give your method a try and post pictures later. I didnt see anything like a coolent tank in the mill,I guess they just filled up the base with coolent and didnt really have a tank. Well I'm not going to try to fix the pump,it dosent seem salvageable.

Good idea HalcyonDaze,I will give your method a try and post pictures later. I didnt see anything like a coolent tank in the mill,I guess they just filled up the base with coolent and didnt really have a tank. Well I'm not going to try to fix the pump,it dosent seem salvageable.

I have one of the original Atlas sales/product books from somewhere in the 40's or so. Early enough that the milling machines they were selling then did not have the outboard arbor support but instead still offered the cast iron overarm cover which actually was much more pleasing to the eye but not nearly as benefitial to use of the machine as the outboard arbor support bar. Anyway, in that old book it showed an accessory add on that included the pump that looked as yours does, the coolant tank attached at the top of the machine, and I thought that the steel box with coolant hoses was supposed to set below the machine and work with the pump to provide the coolant flow. However, it has been a good year or more since I looked at that book and I would say that if the main body of the machine did not have holes in it's side where the hoses would have been fitted to work with the pump I would be wrong and the fluid simply sat in the main body of the machine with the pump.

I would have already looked at the book but I loaned it to a fellow a year or so back that has been attempting to rebuild one of these old mills so I am just working off of my memory of what the pictures in the book showed. I do know that steel tank and hoses was also intended to be used with both the drill presses and lathes as well so my recollection of it's application to the mill might be foggy. The best proof would be holes in the side of the body casting of the machine which would indicate one was originally used with the mill.

If you are not going to try to resurrect your pump I might be interested in buying that one from you and seeing if I could resurrect it myself. If interested in selling it PM me please.

That is a good looking Atlas and especially for the price. There is a guy around here trying to sell one on Craigslist for 500 but it is missing the entire motor and jack shaft assembly and the table feed gear box. Enjoy your new project, you got a good one!

That is a good looking Atlas and especially for the price. There is a guy around here trying to sell one on Craigslist for 500 but it is missing the entire motor and jack shaft assembly and the table feed gear box. Enjoy your new project, you got a good one!

I just looked at it. Way out of line as you know, too much missing. That is a $200 machine tops, or better he should just part it out.

So for today I managed to get the support arm off with a little oil and some twisting,see pics below.Uncle buck I will pm you about the coolent pump later tonight,got to get cleaned up.

atlasMill5 001 (1).JPG atlasMill5 001.JPG atlasMill5 004.JPG

So now we have lost even more post! Well anyway last night I tried to get the arbor free but it doesn’t want to budge, so I oiled everything and let it soak in over night. Hopefully that will loosen something up. I dont know if I should post any more picture because we keep losing them. The knee is still an issue.

Since posts keep getting lost I will make this far shorter than I originally did. If I can get it worked out would you be interested in duplicates of my belt and pulley guards cast out of aluminum at a local foundry? My biggest issue is getting them dropped off and picked up during their working hours since I work out of town and cannot get there during regular working hours.

This looks like a really fun project, makes me wish I had a mill.

Since posts keep getting lost I will make this far shorter than I originally did. If I can get it worked out would you be interested in duplicates of my belt and pulley guards cast out of aluminum at a local foundry? My biggest issue is getting them dropped off and picked up during their working hours since I work out of town and cannot get there during regular working hours.

Are you talking about the guards for this atlas milling machine? Yes I would be intrested,Please send me pictures!!! ALso i will try to repost the lost picutes and submit a new update tonight as I almost have the knee off finally!

Back