Atlas Mill Question- Pulley's For Counter Shaft And Motor

OK. That's even better. They don't normally (for obvious reasons) release drawings of something (like the motor pulley) that they are still stocking or supplying. Unless maybe if you bought the last one and they already have it marked Do Not Reorder. Next time that I have occasion to call them for something, I'll try to remember to ask for the drawings of the other six or eight pulleys.

I purchased two single sheave cast iron pulleys for the motor that match the diameters of the original two step pulley. They were inexpensive - maybe $5 each. I just swap on the one I need, but it is rare for me to use the larger. I intend to make my own 2-step pulley from aluminum eventually - once I get a bit more experience with my lathe. My lathe uses the same motor pulley, and the original is missing also.

Used motor pulleys and countershaft pulleys appear on eBay now and then. There is also a guy selling shop made motor pulley replacements, but he wants around $100. I don't know if Clausing still has any in stock.
Sorry I know this seems obvious but what size pulleys did you buy. Mine is missing

Fairbanks,

It appears that I never made the phone call about the pulleys. Could you email me the files that they sent you? Send to wa5cab@cs.com

The smaller pulley was 2". It was a Leeson part number AK20X1/2. The larger pulley is 4.39 according to the drawing I have. I don't know what cast pulley I used - maybe 4.5"? Subsequently, I made a 2-step pulley like the original Atlas part and sold the cast pulleys on ebay.

Thank you. I inherited my 618 along with a wood lathe with a 4 step pulley. I just needed to know which steps sizes to use with the metal lathe so my speed tables would be correct for cutting. I assume either my Grandpa or my Dad replaced the damaged or worn out original with the 4 step.

JHerdebu,

Do you have the countershaft assembly? I don't think that we have the drawings or the sizes of any of the five 6" pulleys except for the M6-428 motor pulley, from which you could also make the M6-429 motor pulley, since the only difference is the ID. But both of the motor to countershaft rations are significant step-downs. So with only a 4-step motor pulley, you won't be able to get anywhere close to most of the chart speeds. Half will be too fast or much too fast.

Back