Atlas Motor Problem

vincent52100

Registered
Registered
Looking for

Looking for some info on the motor on my Logan Lathe, model 200. I have a 1/2 HP Atlas motor, Cat 2530A, 110v, 1725 RPM, Frame 118C. When I turn it on the motor hums. If I turn it by hand a couple of times it will run. The voltage with motor off is 121v, on position 104v and the motor hums. If I start it by hand the voltage goes to 117 with it running. Could it be a capacitor?I'm not sure what parts I should order. I will mention tat it started fine in the po's shop. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Sounds like the centrifugal switch, assuming there is no capacitor. Open it up and see if you can get lucky and clean the contacts, or make an adjustment.

David

It does have a capacitor, 2MDT7. Its a 340-408 uF, rated 65 deg max temp. Pretty sure thats common enough to not be a problem to get. Should I remove the motor and clean the cent switch while I'm working on it? I'll look and see if there is post covering that. Supposedly the motor was reworked not that long ago but?? Thanks

FIXED!! It was a loose capacitor wire. Must have come off during the move. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good!

If it is a capacitor start motor, it should have a centrifugal switch. The start winding gets it turning in the right direction. The components in the start circuit are the two halves of the start winding, a series capacitor and the switch. Any one of them being bad will cause the motor to hum instead of turn. Most likely would be the switch followed by the capacitor followed by the winding. Don't rule out a bad connection between any of these either. A multimeter or continuity tester will tell you if the switch or the start windings are bad. A capacitance function on a multimeter will tell you if the capacitor is bad. If you have a capacitor from another motor, you can substitute it. It doesn't have to be the same value although if it is way off the motor may be sluggish.

Saw your post after I posted. Great you solved your problem!

I have the same problem with my Jet 1236.... I changed the capasitors and still, once in a while the motor would growl. There is a thin tin plate that seems to be the culprit. Glad to see you've got yours fixed.
I'm going to take a suggestion I recieved in a post from member rbertalotto, changing over to a
( VFD ) variable drive.
Thanks for posting :)

Back