Atlas motor

keith37f20

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I'm getting my motor back soon from the shop that is rebuilding it. I have the ability to wire it as 110 or 220 volts? I can do either one just as easy since I am running a new circuit for the lathe in my shop.

What are the pluses and minuses between the two voltage with a TH54 lathe? Are there any?

Thanks in advance.

either way you feel is fine, there is no real advantage for small motors

Like Mike said, if it's 3/4 HP or less there isn't any real advantage to 220 volts operation
The only exception would be if the supply wiring to the motor is thin and/or long: (e.g. 14 gauge wire, 75 feet or more to the breaker panel)
The result being more voltage lost in the wiring and the motor running less efficiently
-Mark

For small, fractional HP, motors there is no need or call for 240 volts. I have a few machines on 240 but it is a personal choice. (electrical background) If you intend to run the motor in reverse, 120 volt wiring is a little easier. 240 volts keeps the current down. 120 volts uses a single pole breaker. It's give and take for small motors.

Thank you all for the responses. I understand about the current and wire sizing but I didn't know if it made a difference with the motor.

I appreciate your help.

How come it is....

In Europe, with 240 (or as it varies, to 256) volt supplies, I've seen what I would call 1 horse water pumps run on 100 feet, (40 to 50 meter or more) (three 20 meter cords) of what I would call lamp cord, it looks like perhaps 16 gauge wire. The pump runs for hours at a time. I expected the lilne to get hot, or at least warm, but it doesn't.

In the US, with 120 volts you'd need ten or 12 ga, at least for this. Or am in in error, I'm a tool maker not an electrician.

Your lathe may be more saleable with a 120V motor. Some buyers would not consider a 240V lathe if they would need to hire an electrician to run a new circuit.

Responding to T Bradehoft: Twice the voltage means half the current. Voltage drop is proportional to current. So you have half the voltage drop with 240 that you would have with 120. And, that drop is off of 240, not 120. So the percentage drop is 1/4 as much on 240 as on 120. With regard to heating, power lost to heat on the wire is proportional to current squared. So half the current means 1/4 the heat.

How come it is....

In Europe, with 240 (or as it varies, to 256) volt supplies, I've seen what I would call 1 horse water pumps run on 100 feet, (40 to 50 meter or more) (three 20 meter cords) of what I would call lamp cord, it looks like perhaps 16 gauge wire. The pump runs for hours at a time. I expected the lilne to get hot, or at least warm, but it doesn't.

In the US, with 120 volts you'd need ten or 12 ga, at least for this. Or am in in error, I'm a tool maker not an electrician.
As a general rule the higher the voltage the less amperage you need. Lower amperage allows you to run a smaller wire. There are a lot of other factors that go into this such as wire type, copper vs aluminum, distance of the run, type of load, whether it is conduit with other wire, underground, etc... These all can have an effect on wire size.

Your lathe may be more saleable with a 120V motor. Some buyers would not consider a 240V lathe if they would need to hire an electrician to run a new circuit.
The motor on my lathe can be wired for either 120 or 240 but I agree that a 240v lathe may discourage some buyers. This lathe belong to my father-in-law so it will be with and go to one of my boys of they want it. If not I probably won't be around to be concerned about it. :)

Back