Atlas Power Feed Mill

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Things sorta fell apart last winter so were left for warmer weather, Such is the Change O Matic feed drive shaft on my Atlas horizontal mill. I believe I am the third or greater owner of this mill Got it and a shaper at bargain prices 2 years ago and haven't done much with them except incidental 5 minute fix stuff. During one of those, the lower u-joint broke thus breaking the upper u-joint pin.. Originally had planned to true up a lathe chuck but decided I could live with the run-out a little longer and put the mill back together to avoid lost pieces. Built a brass bushing that is slightly over length then found the original bushing under the machine. I can't get a 1/8" drill bit to go into the hole very far after several attempts to re-assemble. After drilling the shaft hole deeper I was finally able to get the holes to line up. now to finish a replacement u-joint on the lower end and buy some 1/8" tapered pins if I can find them.
Have a good day
Ray

I have 4 of the power feeds, all bought off of eBay, all alleged to be fully functional, all of them have stripped bevel gears. Out of the 4, I made one functional one, far from perfect, but functional (barely).

When I acquired my MF-C, the power feed was broken. And some of the gearing driving it was marginal. I don't remember precisely what I did with the gearing. The jackshaft end had to be built from scratch. I'm not so sure what I did was "right" but it's been working ever since I made the repairs. I do recall using a socket, of appropriate size, to make the "U-joint" wobbler.

I had built a "contraption" for my small lathe that started life as a GM transmission. When I first disassembled it, there were "roller" bearings that eventually got "re-cycled" as dowel pins. Taper pins would have been nice, but proper sizing and peaning the ends worked well enough. It's still working, I'll worry about it whan it braeks next time.

Back