Atlas QC10 purchase (was Request value input on a QC10F TH42)

Continued restoration of worn items. Sorry I did not gets pics for this first part. Should have.

The handwheel traverse mechanism was really loose which I recognized months ago and ordered the relevant gears from Clausing (341-057 and 9-102-12S) . A few weeks ago I changed them out. They are pressed onto square shanks on the ends of small stub shafts. Not that hard to do but one fought me a bit (341-057). I decided to cut it off because banging on it did not appear to want to work and I was risking the 10F-11 gear case. Had to heat the new one with a propane torch to get it back on. I don't have a press, just a healthy vice that was giving its all to push the gear back on. I should have ordered one of the stub shafts (9-68) because it was worn badly. I made a couple of thinwall bushings and pressed them onto the shaft. Amazingly, the 10F-11 gear case bore was still in good shape.

Moving on to using the lathe for a repair of my Rotex Mill. Thread Here
I had to use the lathe to make a keyway during the Rotex repair.
I noticed three things about the lathe that I wanted to fix. Did two today.

FIrst, the traverse handwheel only has one nut as supplied by Atlas.
This means you can't tighten the nut without binding the handwheel against the apron casting.
I cut two nuts down thinner so that I could install, set the gap and lock them together. Works great.

Second, there were two things that kept biting my knuckles while doing the keyway. One was the hex head bolt that is just to the right of the handwheel. There will be a button head fastener there as soon as I can source one. The other thing was the casting mismatch between the carriage and apron right above the handwheel. I ground that area flush and polished with a Roloc pad.

20171120_174740.jpg

Lastly, I decided to take a gratuitous picture of the lathe as it sits today. I have not done any cosmetic work, just functional repair and cleaning.

20171120_175024.jpg

Last edited:
Back