Atlas QC10 purchase (was Request value input on a QC10F TH42)

rzbill

The cheapest thing in an airplane is the pilot.
Registered
Hi All,
I came across this craigslist advertisement and have made an appointment to go inspect and purchase if satisfactory.

https://greenville.craigslist.org/tls/6174249367.html

While my recent focus has been on the similar sized new Chinese lathes, this one appears to me on the surface to be a good value.
I have spent some time going through the Atlas 10" threads trying to get familiar with the strong and weak points of this model. I have also watched a few of the youtube videos concerning Atlas inspections so I feel comfortable in the ability to root out show stoppers.

Feel free to look at the advert and give feedback on whether the price appears high,fair or low.

Lastly, for those folks that have purchased, it appears that I should not need a hoist to get this on my truck? Comments welcome.

That is probably a good price with the accessories he listed plus a couple of visible ones that he didn't list. Of course, I would probably start off by offering him $1000.

I don't see any visible bed wear. On the accessories that he listed plus those that he didn't list, you could for calculation purposes assign the following prices if you were to buy them later:

5" Chuck $100
6" Chuck $200 (at least - I can't say for certain who made it but it has 2-piece jaws and probably weighs 2-1/2 times what the 5" or 8" do. I bought one in 1982 that looks just like it and gave over $200 back then)
8" Chuck $100
Steady Rest $150
Follow Rest $150
Carriage Stop $25
QCTP $150 (depending somewhat on how many tool holders he has for it and which ones they are).

Total $875
Balance $325

The lathe and bench bare is probably worth $500 to $750.

As far as moving it goes, the shipping weight of a QC42 less motor is given in the Atlas catalogs as 280 pounds. That includes the weight of the countershaft and a few minor accessories but not the motor. And probably includes the weight of the crate. So if you disconnect the belts and remove the 6" chuck (mine weighs 25 pounds) and maybe tailstock or at least run the carriage all the way to the tailstock end, and disconnect the lathe from the bench, you are probably looking at about 125 pounds at the headstock end and 75 at the tailstock.

And incidentally, although I wouldn't tell the PO, the QCTP is incorrectly mounted on the compound. With the compound set around towards the headstock at 20 degrees, It should be square with the bed and spindle unless you are doing something unusual.

Thank you Robert,
The transaction has been delayed due to travel schedules of me and the seller but unless a problem arrises I expect to have it in the next few weeks.
I have been scouring this board to make use of the extra time to learn more about the lathe.
Interesting reading.

OK. That's one of the major reasons that the board is here. :cool:

Last edited:
July 1st, 2017 update.
I obtained the advertised lathe this past weekend. While it looked as good as the advertisement when there in real life, I am still taking it apart, cleaning and reassembling so that I know the status of the lathe.

I finished going through the carriage, cross, and compound last night.
Glad I did. While the vast majority of parts are in great condition, everything was out of adjustment.
There are a couple of gears on the apron I will need to replace in the near future.

Here's a couple of pics of unloading and the "extras" spread out on my bench.

Did not have an engine hoist so I had to improvise.

The welded table came with the deal. Solvent soaked and pressure washed.

BTW, It was running when I got it. Just disassembled for transport.

6-2-17A.jpg

6-2-17B.jpg

6-2-17C.jpg

6-2-17D.jpg

I think you are in great shape with a very complete setup!
Pierre

You will want to buy several more #1 (#101) Turning & Facing and a couple more of #2 (#102) Turning, Facing & Boring took holders.

Thanks Robert,
I will dig into that part soon.
Working on the horizontal drive system today. Some has been a challenge to get apart. Had to use a gear puller in a couple of places that originally slid together by hand. Makes me rue the day that cup pointed set screws were invented.
On the positive side, I was rewarded with pulley shaft needle bearings that look great. Still shiny and the shaft is still good on diameter.
Pics are of the backgear assy and horizontal belt drive after I finished with them. Gratuitous pic of the carriage from yesterday too.

I may not be able to help much with your serial number/construction date list. The PO indicated that the QCGB was added and the bed was swapped out. Since the bed has the name plate, its number does not relate to the rest of my machine. The ways are 3/8". Lastly, the PO said the Timken bearings were replaced so the dates on those won't be useful.

6-3-17A.jpg

6-3-17B.jpg

6-3-17C.jpg

Last edited:
OK. Did the PO say that it was originally a TH42 or is that what's on the nameplate? If it has a nameplate, ask the PO whether the nameplate came on the bed or was shifted over from the previous bed. Depending upon what the serial number is, there is a small chance that it might be useful.

It appears that either Atlas or Timken (whomever it was putting the dates on) stopped doing that sometime in the early 1950's. So in all probability, it doesn't have any bearing dates anyway.

That QCTP looks like a Yuasa. I bought one in 1981 or 82 about a month after I bought my 3996. It is still going strong 36 years on. It is a piston type but unlike the current crop of Chinese made ones, it is larger and rectangular. I have never felt that it didn't work just as well as the Chinese wedge types.

The Z-shaped bracket on the countershaft isn't original. What does it do?

The original bed was longer. I think the PO said 54" so my current assumption is that this was constructed as a 10F-TH54 and the QCGB added later.
I do not have the lathe fully bolted down yet so I may be able to get the head casting number.

In regards to the 'Z' bracket, it is part of a sheet metal belt cover that is partly visible on my bench behind the countershaft system in images 6-2-17D and 6-3-17C previously posted.

There is another 'custom' part. The cross slide has a sheet metal cover that is longer than the original cast units (that I have),

The QCTP has the name Phase II on it. I have not seen many references to this brand vs the other economy holders. I'll do some searching.

Back