Atlas QC42 Lathe - Buy??

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Not sure if that drill press that I just got did something to me or what... just love the looks of it. So that got me to continue to look for old machines...

It is an Atlas, I think it is 10" but the ad has it as an Atlas QC42 12x42 lathe... 2 broken handles. No tooling except for the 3 jaw chuck...

Atlas QC42 - Photo - 1.jpeg

Atlas QC42 - Photo - 2.jpeg

Atlas QC42 - Photo - 3.jpeg
Atlas QC42 - Photo - 5.jpeg
Atlas QC42 - Photo - 6.jpeg
Atlas QC42 - Photo - 7.jpeg
Atlas QC42 - Photo - 11.jpeg
Atlas QC42 - Photo - 10.jpeg
Atlas QC42 - Photo - 9.jpeg
Atlas QC42 - Photo - 8.jpeg

So a few questions:

1. Would this be something worthwhile getting?
2. Or just another money pit that will sit as another project in the corner of my garage?
3. Is this a better lathe than the HF 9x20 I just got? Meaning, buy this one, sell the HF 9x20 and still get the PM1236?
4. Or keep the HF 9"x20", get this one and forget about the PM1236??
5. Or stay the course... continue learning with the HF 9"x20" until the PM1236 arrives...

Or am I just blinded by the art-deco look of these machines, the nostalgia... In my mind I have this fantasy of seeing it with a new coat of paint and all fully restored... but that might just be me fantasizing of an unreal future...

I said I was not going to entertain an old lathe because of the so many unknowns... but here I am...

Last edited:
I don't think Atlas properly made a 12" lathe, they did make a 12" for Sears sold under the Craftsman brand.

Some older lathes used a somewhat confusing overall length rather than the now more common between centers. 42" is probably 24" between centers.

1 maybe
2 yes
3 maybe
4 up to you, neither of these lathes are equal to the PM1236, but they may be enough for you.
5 I can't answer that for you

Sorry pretty soft answers but so much is up to you and what you want. If you enjoy working on old machines and the price is right, then getting the Atlas may be worthwhile. The Good, it has the original stand which if you are enjoying the look of old tools is a plus, the stands also add a fair bit to the price. The bad little tooling. Getting it tooled up could be expensive, particularly if you want to stick with vintage tooling to keep the vintage look going.

Not to disparage a machine but Atlas was the low end of the machine tool market. They are not bad machines but were very much aimed at the light industrial and home hobby market. Lots of people have Atlas / Craftsman lathes and are quite happy with them, so kind of personal if you are one of them. They main complaint against Atlas / Craftsman is the flat ways, and light weight compared to similar lathes from others (South Bend and Logan primarily).
The PM1236 is a better machine, but that comes with a price tag. The Atlas could be better than the 9x20, it has a QCGB and in general I'd say it is better, but you have tooling for the 9x20, and know it some now. Does this particular Atlas have issues would be a consideration.

If the price is right, this could be a fun project, that you could break even on or even make a little extra on. If it has issues or the price is not right could be a money pit. If you get it you can decide which lathe(s) to keep after playing with it. Is it silly to buy? Maybe but it could be that like many here you may be developing a hobby of fixing up machines, it can be addictive why else would I have 5 small lathes 8" or smaller...

The PM1236 would be my chose. The good thing about the Atlas is having a quick change gear box for threading. I would be cautious of there being more damage than just the broken handles. The broken handles may be because the lathe has been dropped. Check close for any additional damage,especially make sure the cross feed screw and compound screw are not bent.

If I wanted a lathe, I would not be interested in this. If I wanted a project, maybe. But there are a lot more interesting projects that would have much more value when completed.

Thank you guys... like I said in another thread, left alone, I get carried away... That lathe popped up locally for 900.00. I just loved the looks of it and the fact that it had the original table as well. Something about the look of maple top combined with metal... I was kind of daydreaming... seeing it all nice and restored in my head.

An then there is this Southbend also for sale a few hours drive away...

Southbend - 1.jpeg

I will stay the course and wait for the PM1236 to arrive... back to working on getting two items off the wife's honey-do list...

If you like it and have the desire to fix it up, buy it. Keep the HF unit until you get the PM1236. Then sell the HF unit and use the PM1236. Fix up the Atlas and enjoy your accomplishments! It looks like cool little lathe but it won't take the place of the PM1236.

If you like it and have the desire to fix it up, buy it. Keep the HF unit until you get the PM1236. Then sell the HF unit and use the PM1236. Fix up the Atlas and enjoy your accomplishments! It looks like cool little lathe but it won't take the place of the PM1236.

Then the question becomes, is the 900.00 a fair price?

Atlas did indeed make a 12" as well as one with Sears badging
The QC42 shown looks like it might be a bit worn- I'd pass
-M

I've done a lot of good work on my 12" Craftsman, certainly not top of the line, but good machines. the 2' bed may be a drawback for some work, but I don't recall ever doing anything on mine that required more than that, though I have the longer bed on mine. $900 is not at all unreasonable, but you can always offer less. My recommendation would be buy the Atlas, go through it enough to use, and later buy a 1440 sized or larger used machine. As if your anything like many of us, you are going to eventually want bigger. Of course I like working on older machines, and some don't. Mike

Back