Atlas QC42 Lathe - Buy??

Understand space issues, I've got about the same area, 12x20 ft in my basement devoted to my metal shop, head space is limited (6'4" ceilings) but the area is otherwise clear of other items (no water heater etc in the way).

There is also need, if your 7x16" does the job for you then I can understand some reluctance to go bigger. I still do most of my work on the little Sherline, only going to something bigger when it won't fit. I developed a touch of lathe aquireitis along the way. ;)

Understand space issues, I've got about the same area, 12x20 ft in my basement devoted to my metal shop, head space is limited (6'4" ceilings) but the area is otherwise clear of other items (no water heater etc in the way).

There is also need, if your 7x16" does the job for you then I can understand some reluctance to go bigger. I still do most of my work on the little Sherline, only going to something bigger when it won't fit. I developed a touch of lathe aquireitis along the way. ;)
Believe me, if I had a place to put it (like the garage after Winter so I don't need to get both cars in) I'd find a way to scrape together the funds to at least purchase (and they'll deliver, load & unload for a little extra), then I could keep working on the 7 x 16, use it to fabricate parts for the Atlas, gradually add tooling, then do a swap in the basement.

It would just fit on the bench where I have my 7 x 16 Mini-Lathe. Unfortunately, I also have a Micro-Mill on this bench and in order to get full travel on my Mini-Mill, I need to move the Mini-Lathe out of the way under the shelf (mounted on a melamine-covered plank, a la Frank Hoose Frank Hoose Mini-Lathe Base):

Lathe Bench.jpg

My TH42:

fr_3827.jpg

fr_3814.jpg
fr_3846.jpg

That's it nearing the end of a deep rebuild. I think it's a great little unit, keeping in mind it's capabilities and limitations. Will turn around 24" between centers, which is more than I'll ever need for my small projects.

And as you can see, they can be real lookers and quite the conversation piece when people are in my shop. They always gravitate towards it, I think it must be the color choice and how it compliments/emphasizes the curves and shapes in the castings. Looking nice doesn't make it any more capable though, it just makes it more enjoyable to have and use.

:)

Last edited:
I needed to correct a statement made several posts back (plus I edited the error). The QC42 (and the longer QC54) is not an Atlas 10D with a QCGB. The Atlas 10D was only made for a couple of years in the mid 1930's, has the early 3/8" hub change gears, has a 96T pair of change gears and does not have power cross feed. The QC models are 10x24 or 10x36 10F's that do have power cross feed, the later 1/2" hub gears, and an added QCGB. And several other differences as well.

I needed to correct a statement made several posts back (plus I edited the error). The QC42 (and the longer QC54) is not an Atlas 10D with a QCGB. The Atlas 10D was only made for a couple of years in the mid 1930's, has the early 3/8" hub change gears, has a 96T pair of change gears and does not have power cross feed. The QC models are 10x24 or 10x36 10F's that do have power cross feed, the later 1/2" hub gears, and an added QCGB. And several other differences as well.
Sorry for the original bad info: I guess not everything on the Internet is true, even on specialty sites.

No problem. There is a lot of disinformation floating around the Internet. :)

Back