Atlas QC54 Help with broken split nut scroll 10D-38

I just did this last week, but my handle broke, as well as that part. I immediately found both on Ebay. Sorry. I paid $30 for a used one, just as an fyi. Still waiting for it to come in the mail. So keep an eye open on Ebay.

Yikes. Thanks for the perspective, John. Glad you got it going. Good looking machine.

What kind of bench top are you bolted to there?

The wooden table that came with mine is quite wobbly. I’ll probably fill in all the gaps with 4x4’s and structural screws for now. But this also makes me interested in others’ solutions for lathe benches/tables/stands.

Thanks, it was quite a bit uglier when I bought it....

The piece it's bolted down to is part of an IKEA countertop I had left over from my Airstream project trailer, it was the flattest thing I had around at the time. It also has six rubber feet underneath between it and the other IKEA countertop that's attached to my old SnapOn roll away cabinet. I don't have my machinists level here so I can't really say how good it is but mostly I work close to the chuck so not so worried.

Cheers.

John

Randy,

I'm really not going out of my way to make you feel bad! But the end of the shaft on the 10D-38 and the hole in the back of the 10-29 that fits it is square. See Page 6 of REV 12 of the 1966 edition of the 10F Series parts list in Files. So twisting the lever won't do anything except maybe break something. The best way to remove the lever if it is stuck on the scroll shaft is to replace the oval head screw with a longer socket head one and use a puller that has a bearing splitter pair small enough to fit behind the lever.

John: Got it, thanks for the response.

Robert:
That's hilarious! What a ding dong :D
You didn't make me feel bad at all. Information is more valuable than pride. I am glad you told me!

I don't know what I was thinking. I never stopped to think that shaft had to be keyed or otherwise driven (by hand) somehow.
The theme here is that I'm getting impatient with the cleanup. I started strong...referencing parts diagrams & watching videos before I tackled the next component. I'm getting lazy. Okay, you kicked me in the right spot. I'll pull it together & either slow down or take a break.

I just finished scrubbing the apron today. I had decided to leave the scroll & half nut lever in place, as to disturb as little as possible. This is silly but I cut a long sliver of masking tape, wrapped the circumference of the broken scroll 2-3 times, & tied two strands of crappy crafting rope around. Just to keep it in place while cleaning the apron. And I think I am going to reassemble with the broken scroll. I think the forces involved, the tight fitting housing it goes into, and the faint whiff of red Loctite I will put on the cracks (with a sheet of card stock slid behind the scroll disk until it dries) -- I think all of that will do until I find a replacement. But even planning for failure: it's not a motor driven part. If we assume I'm [still] a ding dong, I don't think I have much to lose. I'll probably find the replacement long before I make a chip anyway, haha.

You know, even "how to clean a vintage lathe if the paint is decent enough that you don't want to repaint" is not the easiest info to find online for a newbie. Of course I ended up in a few threads here and watching a few videos, but a lot of videos skip the "obvious" parts. By the way, I ended up with mineral spirits, kerosene, and stiff nylon brushes. I cracked the kerosene open first & never looked back. I think the fact that Atlas specifies kerosene for "monthly wipe down" (or similar) had me leaning that way already.

I'm close, fortunately. I think I "only" have the saddle, tail stock, and the right 1/3 of the bed remaining. Famous last words. I'll calm down. :) Thanks again.

I meant to come back and update this. Clausing had the split nut scroll in stock. $12 or something ridiculously cheap like that. They’re awesome. Less than $25 shipped.

Just ordered from them again yesterday. Stripped my carriage lock bolt. They had the bolt, washer, and slide all in stock: $1, $1, and $15.

I will point out that if more of you would buy parts like these from Clausing instead of jury rigging something else, it appears that they would keep more of them in stock.

Back